• History/disposition of HT&W 2-6-0 #5 (?)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Aa3rt

Folks, I'm trying to help track the history and disposition of a 2-6-0 that went from a railroad here in southern Maryland, was sold to the HT&W and ultimately scrapped. Any information about it after it left southern Maryland would be most appreciated.

The locomotive was built by Baldwin, in Philadelphia, in 1924 with construction# 58005. It had 42" in diameter drivers, a boiler 52" in diameter and 15"x20" cylinders. The locomotive was built for the Washington, Brandywine and Point Lookout Railroad as their #5. The WB&Pt. L served portions of Prince George's, Charles & St. Mary's counties, southeast of Washington, DC. This line interchanged with the PRR (originally Baltimore and Pope's Creek) in Brandywine, MD.

The information I have shows that the locomotive was sold to the Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington in 1938 and was scrapped in 1949.

(I believe it carried the #5 while in service on the HT&W as well.)

Does anyone have any information that could help confirm this? Anything to help "fill in the blanks"?

by eriemike

You should contact the Walker Transportation Collection. They have anything and everything on New England railroads. Their webside is at:

http://www.walkertrans.org

by Red Wing

The Rail Lines of Southern New England by Ronald Dale Karr has a picture of the #5. This picture was taken from the files of the Walker Transportation Collection