• help with layout idea

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by bncsx

Hi N Scalers,
I need your advice/input. I am new to the hobby and I am just about ready to build a layout, (I have a small one now) I have been buying stuff for years, and I finally have the room (34" x 96") the problem is, I cant seem to come up with a layout idea. I was wondering if layout design software would help, and if anyone out there has used it, and could steer me towards an easy to use/understand name ?
I have deisel, circa 1980's through mid 90's . And will run 90% freight .
I read where modellers like to pick a certain road and area and model after that, but I was thinking about trying my own ficticious road. I look forward to your answers and opinions.
Thanks !!
BNCSX :)

by John_Perkowski

I like Model Railroader Magazine's theme:

MODEL RAILROADING IS FUN.

Implied in that theme is you have choice... prototype or fiction, passenger or freight, however you want to play.

8' by not quite 3' ... is that your room footprint, or your layout footprint?

Only problem with your era is equipment is getting longer, and clearances in industrial areas are tighter ... thus radii get bigger.

With the kind of space you have available, you can do a major industrial park in a city, and run local switching operations until the cows come home.

As for design software, I've played with it, and I've sketched layouts by hand ... in one way, I'd say go hand, unless you want to fiddle awhile with design options before you commit roadbed to plywood.

My thoughts. Other folx will have other thoughts :) ;)

by bncsx

John.

That was a typo, the actual size of the table I built for the layout is 38X96, not 34. Had to squeeze it into a corner before the wife claimed the area for her "crafts" . :)

by keeper1616

with a space like that, it may be easier to build 'up' rather than 'out' ... personally I like taking stuff between two points, so I would have a few industries up on top and a yard at the bottom, connected by a helix of sorts of a mainline, taking up most of your table....something like the RIT model railroad club has done in HO scale.

http://www.ritmrc.org

I don't care for yard work, but that is another option. I am designing a layout right now using Atlas' RightTrack software. Its free, and pretty good, but placing flex track can be a bit tricky.

Another good resourse you can use is Track Planning for Relistic Operation by John Armstrong. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 23-5853640

If you need any more help, let me know, as I know a little about this and have done some designing in the past, and would be more than happy to help (as long as I can operate on it when its done...lol)
  by John_Perkowski

Not quite 4 x 8 !!!! Wowser!

You can pack quite a bit of action there...

Main with some passing sidings

A small yard

Some lineside industry off a parallel local track to the main...

Still, you may have challenges with the minimum radii question.

I'm planning an almost pure passenger operation, and 12" radii curves are as low as I will go. With 80s/90s equipment, many of your freight pieces have the same radii requirements as my 50s passenger equipment.

With your footprint, 12 inch means only about 10 inches of straight track on the exterior mainline short axis.

Regards, John

by sjl

3' x 8' can fill up pretty quickly. I would not "go up" with a helix; that's a lot of complication. Perhaps "go up" with urban scenery or an industry.

Model Railroader did a project layout called the "Carolina Central" in or about the January 1997 issue. That layout was done on a door 34" x 80". Since you have a slightly larger space, you could modify that plan to expand the industries for switching opportunities, and come out with a pretty satisfying layout. Or, double-track the original and let 'em roll!

ron
  by jmp883

BNCSX,

I've never used trackplanning software but I would think it would be a great asset. I got my trackplan out the 2 volume Introduction To N-Scale books from Atlas. The plan came out of Volume 2 and was slightly modified.

www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

This layout, wired for 2 cabs, allows me to have one train continuosly run on the mainline while I switch the 3 track yard and the engine facility. Now for the kicker, this is done on a hollow-core door (NEVER, NEVER USE A HOLLOW-CORE DOOR!!!!) that measures 6'x3'! Nothing is crowded and yet I can move the layout should I ever need to move! I also model the diesel era from the mid-60's and my Alco C-628's handle the curves on my layout nicely (and don't look bad doing it).

Check all your options, you never know where you'll find a plan you can use or modify. Hope my website and the pictures on it help to inspire you!

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL
  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by sam

hi bncsx

after considering your space requirements...
i think you really have to see this hollow door layout that i just recently found....
Image[/img]

this is made to fit on a 32" X 80" door....
it has a lot of operational potential.
a timesaver, an interchange, a harbor...

here's a link to the site...."evolution of a N gauge layout for the absolute beginner"...give a good simple overview for designing a layout for operations...imho
http://users.iafrica.com/c/ca/caroper/tutorial/

and for track planning software...
i use atlas's right track software (RTS)...
its freeware and you can just download it from their site...
i use it to primarily give me a clearer idea of what the layout will look like.

by bncsx

Hi Sam,

Thanks for taking the time to not only post an answer, but the graphic is a great addition. It has given me a lot of ideas. I think I might use this as a base, then add onto it.
Thanks Again :)

by sam

np bncsx,
always glad to help :)
do check out the site, though.
it might be able to give some more ideas.
oh, and i'd love to see what you come up with...
so keep us updated on your progress :)

by sam

np bncsx,
always glad to help :)
do check out the site, though.
it might be able to give some more ideas.
oh, and i'd love to see what you come up with...
so keep us updated on your progress :)

by XRails

here's a link to the site...."evolution of a N gauge layout for the absolute beginner"...give a good simple overview for designing a layout for operations...imho
http://users.iafrica.com/c/ca/caroper/tutorial/
My layout is a modification of his "KEWAUNEE, GREEN BAY & WESTERN R.R. AND THE AHNAPEE & WESTERN RY."

Great site, it really got me going