• Help Commuting to Boston!

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by timcsport

Hey All. I'm looking for some advice on commuting to Boston.

I am coming from New Hampshire (seacoast area) and traveling to a new job in the financial district. My hours are currently set up 10-6, and are unchangeable.

Currently I am driving 90 miles a day (round trip), to the Wonderland station in Revere, and taking the T to State. It's a bummer because since my work hours do not start until 10, I'm stuck paying 4 dollars for parking everyday because the lot is full by the time I get there.

So far this seems like the cheapest option: Per Month
T Pass: 44
Parking: 88
Gas: 170

Comes out to about 300 bucks just to 'go' to work. Not to mention the bad traffic i get on route 1 trying to get back to 95 to go back to NH.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

by Ron Newman

Why are you doing this instead of using the commuter rail at Newburyport?

re:

by timcsport

Mainly because if I did that, the train wouldn't get into Newburyport until 7:50, and I'm not home until 8-8:05.

The way i go now, i'm home at 7:25.

by Ron Newman

There are also commuter bus options (C&J Trailways and The Coach Company) though we're starting to get off-topic for a rail forum.

If the Newburyport commuter rail schedule doesn't suit you, perhaps the Haverhill one does.

But I sure wouldn't drive that distance just to save a half-hour in the evening.

re:

by timcsport

Haverhill might be possible, but then I'm stuck trying to get to North Station from roughly the Commons in 15 minutes everyday. And if I happen not to get out in time, 6:55 is my next option which is a bummer too.

by Ron Newman

In that case, I'm not sure what you are asking us. We can't change the T schedules...

by Leo Sullivan

Consider Beverly, not so far from 128 and combines the Newburyport/Rockport lines. There are even a couple of semi express trains. Remember, all trains go to North Station, only the rapid transit goes to Park or State. On the other (off topic) hand several 'north' buses go into the city, right to Govt. Ctr or the Common. all have full schedules on the net.

re:

by timcsport

Thanks for your help. I was just wondering if I overlooked an option. I guess I keep on driiiiiving

by efin98

You could also try Lowell. That line seems to have great service at reasonable times and is very commuter friendly for those from New Hampshire.

However since you sound like you are coming from eastern New Hampshire(coast area maybe?) you could also try a transfer at Central Square in Lynn or Salem and catch a T bus or the Commuter Rail. That leaves you with a viable transfer should you miss the train and is not much more expensive nor time consuming considering the Blue Line's length and number of riders it packs in. Salem has three T buses, two to Haymarket(450, 455) and one to near Downtown Crossing(459). Central Square in Lynn has the three routes mentioned, plus the 441, 442, and the 426 with a few rush hour only routes as well going to Haymarket and the 448 and 449 heading to near Downtown Crossing.
  by Porter Sq

If your coming from the Hampton area it is a 20-25 min drive to Lowell.The station is located right off of the Lowell Connector parking is plentful and cheap 3.50 a day. There is a train at 6:25 and gets you into Lowell at 7:12.If you drive like everyone else around here you can be home by 7:45. Lowel is only zone 6 compared to Haverhill and Newburyport which are zone 8's and a monthly pass only cost you 181.00 a month.

re:

by timcsport

Thanks for that info Porter. I had never thought of going there. I will definitely check it out.

re:

by timcsport

Does the parking @ Lowell fill up quickly?
  by Porter Sq

Since you have to be in boston by 10 I would say yes there would be spots.I take the 825 two days a week and walk threw the new garage from the LRTA bus stop on the other side. There is atleast two levels in the new garage that always has spots.you will never find spots in the older garages. If you use this option for your commute to work let me know how it turns out and if you end up taking the 825 maybe we can have a chat on the train to kill the time. Good Luck.

by trigonalmayhem

I was going to suggest maybe taking the downeaster?
it would certainly save you a lot of the driving time, although the train you'd have to take would get you into the city around 9:00 am and the one leaving would leave at 6:15 pm from North station, which might be tight if the T is running sluggishly that day.

Anyway, the schedules are here in case you'd like to consider it:

http://www.thedowneaster.com/schedule.php

re:

by timcsport

I looked into Lowell, but it seems to be the same distance from Revere, roughly 45 miles each way. So I wouldn't save any money there. Perhaps Haverhill is the way to go.