• Heed THIS from SEPTA : No food or drink on the RR!! What!!!

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Tritransit Area

Hi guys, how are all of you?

There is no rule on SEPTA regional rail trains stating you cannot eat or drink on them. As someone said before, that would be horrible for the poor soul traveling from thorndale or malvern on the local to center city!

Additionally, yes, its really a shame that people are such slobs. It really disgusts me so much when i see someone purposely throw trash on the floor, like that guy on the rt 100 who was eating a slice of Go Go's pizza and then purposely put the greasy trash on the floor underneath his seat - i just wanted to wring his neck! Of course, I didnt.

I say all of that as a person who regularly consumes on the bus. Yes, I was the guy on the bus eating the chinese (i won't do that again - it's too bad the windows are all sealed!). However, I always to the best of my ability make sure i am extraordinarily clean when eating. Unless the bus gets into an accident heaven forbid, nothing should happen. Besides, I had my worst accident on a bus when i was obeying the no eating rule (turned out before i got on the bus, the lid to a bottle wasnt screwed on the right way, and the contents of that peach cocktailed spilled out right onto the seat onto the bus!)

Now, sorry for saying the dreaded "b" word on this forum, but that's mainly what I ride, and after leaving work at 6 and not making it home until around 7:30pm after having lunch at 1:30 and only with like a 5-10 minute layover between buses, why not have a little snack (Wendy's Combo) on the long journey home? What else would i do?

I really think it could make a difference to at least have some sort of trash receptacle on the trains. The rt 100 N-5s had them - now they are boarded up! people do not want to hold their trash, and therefore will deposit it anywhere.

By the way, the eating rule is enforced by some - I had one driver almost not let me on the bus, ready to leave me at the stop unless i got rid of the best waterice i had in a long time. Unfortunately, that meant throwing it on the street, which i do not condone in any way, but it was either that or spend another hour out in the cold.

One reason why I find the rule laughable that often times the vehicles are just nasty. I dont mean "oh, people ate" nasty, but just dirty. Why is it that SEPTA has the worst windows I ever see on any transit vehicle? Filmy, grimy...on some vehicles, they just have some sort of dirt on it! DIRT! not like someone putting their feet up type of dirt either.

All in all, it would nice if SEPTA could work to keep their fleet from not being somewhat dingy, and make not eating more practiced...hopefully.

Unfortunately, people are slobs. However, enjoy you Mc D's on the Regional Rail, there is no sign saying otherwise!