• HEADS UP: Heritage Units on NS Southern Tier

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

Not sure of the Virginian unit was used on NS H85 (which interchanges with the B&H) today. Number 1069 was spotted on the oil track at Gang Mills about an hour ago. Since the B&H/NS interchange happens in the morning now, the chances of it happening before dark today are slim.
  by Matt Langworthy

The First Responders unit is leading NS 287 tonight. According to a trusted FB source, the train is currently in Mechanicville. I suspect #911 will be on the Tier tomorrow morning.
  by Matt Langworthy

The Pennsy unit is coming to Horseheads. Number 8102 is the lead unit on NS 60X, which is a unit sand train. The other locos are a CSX GE and an NS SD60M. The train was last spotted in Elkhart, IN as per the HU website but that was over 13 hours ago. NS 60X has also been confirmed by several FB reports.
  by Matt Langworthy

The reports of NS #8102 coming to Horseheads were false. NS 60X, with the Pennsy unit, went to Virginia.
  by BR&P

Matt Langworthy wrote:The reports of NS #8102 coming to Horseheads were false. NS 60X, with the Pennsy unit, went to Virginia.
From another thread:
Matt Langworthy wrote:On a more serious note, the initial report of NS #4000 for today was erroneous on the HU website. The unit is actually on NS 24N, which will not come to Buffalo
Sounds like some folks don't really know what they are talking about. Image You need to find some better sources, Matt! :P
  by Matt Langworthy

The HU website is accurate about 95% of the time- I've used it to intercept the Erie, Interstate, NKP, Penn Central, Southern, Virginian and Wabash units. That other 5% when it's wrong is rather annoying. HU is only as good as the railfans who make the reports.
  by sd80mac

Matt Langworthy wrote:The HU website is accurate about 95% of the time- I've used it to intercept the Erie, Interstate, NKP, Penn Central, Southern, Virginian and Wabash units. That other 5% when it's wrong is rather annoying. HU is only as good as the railfans who make the reports.

Also there's few rotten apples who would screw us as well. That did happened in past few times (rare).
  by Matt Langworthy

NS #8101 aka the Central Of Georgia is leading a late run of NS 309 tonight. The train was spotted at Wellsburg about 2 hours ago, so I suspect the C Of G unit will get to Bison Yard later tonight.
  by Matt Langworthy

NS #8101 aka the Central of Georgia unit is leading NS 310. The train was near Buffalo last night, so it's probably on the Tier right now.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Matt Langworthy

The CofG unit arrived in Binghamton around 12 Noon today. As an added bonus, DC to AC unit #4005 is also on NS 310.
  by Matt Langworthy

As per the HU website, NS #4001 was spotted in Buffalo a few hours ago. The DC to AC unit is leading NS 310, which should arrive in Binghamton this afternoon.
  by C2629

Latest report from the "Heritage" site says NS 4001 is not leading. Previous reports showed it leading. Another bogus report ??
  by Matt Langworthy

I'm not sure what happened to #4001. The latest HU report could be bogus... or NS might have wyed the power in Buffalo. At this point, I guess we'll have to wait for further HU reports and/or photos of NS 310 on Facebook.
  by sd80mac

THere's posting of pictures in FB of 4001 leading the 310.... picture's powerful....