• Headlights on rear Red Line cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

None of them used their headlights in the tunnels at all. In fact, back on my 1991 visit, my brother and I were privileged to get a cab ride on a set of 01400's from Alewife to South Station. The operator told me that they never use the headlights except on the surface at night because they are so bright (and he demonstrated in the tunnel by turning them on briefly).

That cab ride represented my one and only ride on a set of 01400's.

I remember you telling us about that positive oddysey you had with those units in the last forum system, must have been an awesome cab ride!

As for headlights, they have actually used them in the tunnels since, and also at night, but they still of course kill them when approaching a station (surface or undergorund).

by CRail

They actually turn them on in the station, though, if they notice a photographer on the platform. They have done it to me many times, system wide, not even just on one line.

The yellow lights on the 01800's used to be on only in the front, but now they are all on often times. Can't say why.

by octr202

Whereas, I never seem to see them lit on the older cars (although, i have to admit, I've only been looking for the past week or so).

I've also noticed that they seem to sue the headlights a lot more than they used to. When I first moved to Boston in the 90's, it seemed like they never used them much at all, now I seem to see them on all the time except when entering stations and passing other trains. In fact, sometimes they seem to be leaving them on until very close to the stations now...usually when the platform is crowded. Usually the bright glow does get people's attention.

by CSX Conductor

octr202 wrote:Usually the bright glow does get people's attention.
But it is also blinding if someone was to look right at the train.

by CRail

thats true octr. they used them at night but only in the tunnel if they wanted a better look at something. they were otherwise seldom used.
  by willfh

in conjuction with the right of way safety rule changes from about 2 years ago the use of headlights has been required by special order more often