Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

I think this is the first year that I can recall Metra running an extra inbound/outbound train on the HC for the fireworks show at the Taste. Sounds like a good oppurtunity to go out to Joliet on the RI, then come back via the HC, and with the weekend pass, it'll certainly be a good deal. I just wish the outbound trip on RI would go via the mainline instead of the Beverly branch, it'll be only extra inbound trains serving the mainline at that time, and I haven't taken a ride along that corridor in over 10 years! (Yeah, and I call myself a railfan, right?) :wink:

But anyway, with the weekend fast approaching, if I can get my "camera issues" straightened out, I plan to railfan along BNSF at the Highlands station on Sunday. Should be a good mix of Amtrak and freight trains as always, but thrown in all the extra Metra service for the Taste, and it should be one busy railroad. Railfanning plans for the weekend, anyone?

Dorian

by MetraRy

i am thinking of taking that HC because i never seen the whole line. the rest of the time i plan to be at hinsdale, lagrange, berwyn, or elmhurst.

by metraRI

If someone wanted to ride RI's Main Line over the weekend, there will be one inbound express both Saturday and Monday leaving Joliet at 11:30. If you took the 10:30 train from LaSalle, you would be able to catch the express at Mokena with no problem. Might as well take advantage of it with that Weekend Pass.

by metraRI

I was out on RI today from 3-8, and went to SWS to see the 5:55 train. Had no problems with Metra police, all though I did see a police car at Tinley Park. Which is maybe why I decided not to stop there. I didn't want to get involved with them today, as someone who went to Joliet got a nice welcome from Metra Police.

All of my pictures from today are now on MetxPix Railside "July 3rd".
Last edited by metraRI on Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

by MetraRy

i want out to crystal lake. come back to downtown took the 4:30 out LaSalle and then came back on the HC. There were rent-a-cops everywhere, so i decided to keep a low profile and not take any pictures. Got my bag checked 4 times for beer too.

by doepack

Among the interesting sights seen today at Highlands was one of those cab cars with the red cowcatcher bringing up the rear of an 8-car train. Didn't get the car number, but this appeared to be a deadhead move from CUS; train was about 15 min. behind 1311, the 2:30 CUS departure. I'm not much of a cab-car fan since they all look alike, but I have to admit the red cowcatcher does add a little personality to them.

I was there from 3 to 4:30pm, and a Hinsdale police officer was on the scene when I arrived. The cop was friendly and I had no problems, but just the same, I didn't want to take any chances and kept the camera in my bag today. But even if you're not taking pictures, Highlands is a pretty cool place to railfan, it's accessible, there's a park nearby along with the "unofficial" railfan photo bridge as well. Brought the Sunday paper with me, and I managed to finish most of it between trains...
  by Amtrak31

metraRI wrote:I was out on RI today from 3-8, and went to SWS to see the 5:55 train. Had no problems with Metra police, all though I did see a police car at Tinley Park. Which is maybe why I decided not to stop there. I didn't want to get involved with them today, as someone who went to Joliet got a nice welcome from Metra Police.

All of my pictures from today are now on MetxPix Railside "July 3rd".
The someone who got a nice welcome from Metra Police was me. I'm taking photos of the Metra Double Header, minding my own business, and the next thing I know, the Metra Sgt is detaining me. I guess that's railroading now these days, not wanted anywhere. I hope I'm wrong. I can't go anywhere now without police asking "What are you guys doing here?"