Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by railaw

In today's Courant, Rick Green's column was about how important the NHHS line is for Connecticut's economic development, and how Hartford needs to be connected to Boston and New York in 90 minutes. Which causes one to wonder, does he know what the NHHS project even is?

It's hard to hawk a product when you don't know what it does.

And I think any federal (or bonding) funds would go to 'studying' HSR on the corridor, and probably a look at electrification or some other useless endeavor rather than moving closer to a project that might have a chance of becoming a reality.

While we're on the topic, the New Britain busway seems on the edge of being flushed again in favor of studying Hartford to Bristol to Waterbury rail services for the next 20 years. Slush funds.
  by Jeff Smith

You don't have a link, do you?

I agree with your summation, though. Study, study, study, patronage funds to "consultants".

90 minutes Hartford to New York? What color is the sky in that world? I don't think there's even a train from New Haven that makes that schedule.
  by Ridgefielder

Sarge wrote:90 minutes Hartford to New York? What color is the sky in that world? I don't think there's even a train from New Haven that makes that schedule.
120 miles in 90 minutes. That would imply an average speed of 80mph. He planning to build a TGV using the NY&NE and the Westchester Northern? :wink:
  by Patrick A.

I made GCT-Milford on a shopper train (first stop Westport, Fairfield, Bridgeport, Stratford, Milford, NHV) in 78 minutes. If I had to guess, that train probably made it into NHV within 90 min :wink:
  by #5 - Dyre Ave

railaw wrote:While we're on the topic, the New Britain busway seems on the edge of being flushed again in favor of studying Hartford to Bristol to Waterbury rail services for the next 20 years. Slush funds.
They've been discussing that New Britain busway since I was a student at UConn (went there from 1998-2001). I always believed it was a short-sighted idea and that rail should have been used. I really hope the call to study rail gets louder and the busway gets torpedoed in favor of rail. There should be commuter rail from Hartford to at least Bristol, preferably with DMU's.
  by Noel Weaver

Ridgefielder wrote:
Sarge wrote:90 minutes Hartford to New York? What color is the sky in that world? I don't think there's even a train from New Haven that makes that schedule.
120 miles in 90 minutes. That would imply an average speed of 80mph. He planning to build a TGV using the NY&NE and the Westchester Northern? :wink:
With the summer 1957 timetable effective April 28, 1957, the New Haven Railroad using old electric locomotives with no
radios, no cab signals, freight trains 24/7 and old equipment made the run between Grand Central Terminal and New Haven
in 1 hour and 19 minutes on a number of trains. With stops at Stamford and Bridgeport they could still make it in 1 hour and
30 minutes from Penn Station as well as Grand Central Terminal. If there was only a stop at either Stamford or Bridgeport,
the trains as a matter of course made it in less than 1 hour and 30 minutes and some of them handled baggage and mail
as well as running with an RPO.
Train 69 made it from Hartford to Grand Central Terminal, New York in 2 hours and 12 minutes with only an 8 minute stop
in New Haven and a stop at 125th Street. Eastbound 2 hours and 14 minutes on train 60 with 7 minutes in New Haven to
change engines and for a connection from train 398. The connections were advertised and made in those days, even three
or four minute connections in some cases.
It can be done, it was done on the New Haven Railroad.
Noel Weaver
  by FRN9

Seems like the real benefits would come with direct service into GCT from Springfield/Hartford rather than SLE type service--or at least into 125 Street.

What about the idea of diesel service to 125 similar to RVL service to Newark. Is there anything precluding diesel getting that far?

Another idea could be using diesel/electric locomotives with double-deckers like the LIRR has. I've read that double-deckers would have a hard time with GCT, but given the nature of the short platforms on the line, this might be the perfect technology to run on this line.

I think for the train to make sense to people it has to be not only easier, but also faster than driving the same distance.
  by Noel Weaver

It would not be at all practical to regularly terminate a train at 125th Street especially during the busy hours and this line is
very busy for most of the 24 hour day.
Noel Weaver
  by Clean Cab

I support expanding service, but CDOT should keep their finacial commitment to operating their portion of MN first.
  by hoodex

Didnt Bombardier propose direct operation on the Springfield line into Penn Station using dual mode Locomotives most likely ALP-45's
  by DutchRailnut

proposals are great, but Bombardier does not make a diesel/ third rail dual mode and the ALP45 would not be able to run into GCT.
Both MNCR and CDOT have no runnin g rights into NYP
And Bombardier should try to prove a working unit first before selling them in big quantities.
  by Train322

Any news regarding the Springfield line?
Last I heard, Ct is still discussing authorizing $20 (or $26) million in bonding and applying for approx $80m to restore ten miles of second track between Newington Junction and north end of Meriden.

Also included are environmental studies and engineering work on restoring the second track on the remaining portions, plus work on the Hartford viaduct and the Ct river bridge.

1) When Amtrak pulled up the track in 1992, did they do an EIS and engineering work? Also, why would they have put signals in the middle of where the old track was located - example is north end of Windsor station. Can't they just say it was an 18 year track rehab project and just put down the track (kidding).

2) If Metro-North were able to run the service, that would help regarding ticketing and such. Just as Amtrak runs on MTA tracks, why can't Metro-North run on Amtrak owned tracks? Also, if CDOT is paying for the second track, who would actually own the line? Also, will we have union issues which cause operations to be cost prohibitive? How does SLE work? Do they change crews? Are SLE (Amtrak contract) workers paid less than equivalent Metro-North workers?

3) When the M8's come into use, how many cars will be used on SLE trains and would that mean current SLE equipment can be used on the Springfield line? When? 2011, 2012... Will four car SLE trains run throuh to GCT?

4) Will the line have ticket machines? Does Metro-North have a limit on how many ticket machines can be built? Do the Danbury and Waterbury branches have them? I thought it was a union issue because of reduction in ticket office staff.

5) Will the line have heated wait area's like the NY portion of Metro-north?
  by Ridgefielder

Train322 wrote:Also, if CDOT is paying for the second track, who would actually own the line?
Amtrak owns the line today, and will continue to own the line despite whatever the State may do with regard to paying for restoration of a second track. The only State-owned portion between Shore Line Jct. and the MA line is the ROW for the old Highland main line between Newington Jct. and New Britain (see map in attached link) http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents ... ils2x3.pdf
  by Otto Vondrak

Train322 wrote:Any news regarding the Springfield line?
CDOT Official: http://www.nhhsrail.com/

Advocacy Group: http://springfieldrail.org/

Read back through this thread for answers to your other questions.