• Guilford Brunswick, Maine Local PO-8?? 12-26-2006

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by bwparker1

My daughter and I were leaving the store in Freeport today and the Crossing Lights were flashing at the Bow Street crossing. I pulled her out of her stroller to wave to the Conductor as MEC 513 pulled across pulling 1 ATSF Covered Hopper (perlite), 1 flat car of sheet steel for BIW, 5 CN Cement hoppers and then a surprise, 2 Ex-Amtrak Baggage Cars, 1853 and 1854 labeled ME in white tape, apparently for the Maine Eastern operation in Brunswick-Rockland. They appeared to be used on the Adirondack train in the past. The train ended with a Green BN grain type hopper. The train was heading north to Brunwick. A nice catch for the 24 hours that I am in Freeport before returning to Pennsylvania.

http://www.sover.net/~getty/amtrak/1854C.jpg

http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtBAG1800/amt1853b.jpg

by mainetrain

Nice catch Brooks!

by MEC407

Very interesting. I wonder what Maine Eastern plans on doing with the baggage cars!

by NaugMOW

Good catch, but 513 has been dead with its main generator removed for several years now. Are you sure thats the unit you saw??

by bwparker1

Maybe it was 315, I didn't write anything down, just tried to store it up the brain until I got back to my in-laws house.

http://www.bkvp.com/newgrs/mec315a-edrj041901.jpg

by mainetrain

I didn't think "Pan Am" would go up that far on the Maine Eastern. Hope it continues!

ps Go Penn State, beat Tennessee

by wolfmom69

Ah,"mainetrain";Brooks saw the freight in Freeport,which IS PanAm trackage! This is part of the old MEC "Lower Road",now called the "Brunswick Running Track. It runs from Royal Jct. in Cumberland at CPF 185,16 miles to Church Rd. in Brunswick,where the State of Maine owned trackage(operated by Maine Eastern) takes over.

Still NO MORE progress on "operating" the rehabed Lewiston Lower trackage,that was done at taxpayer's expense this summer. :(

Saw a Maine Eastern 10 wheel boom truck coming off the Brunswick wye yesterday PM,and thought that the switch to the Celotex "particle board" mill in Lisbon Falls "might" be hooked up-NOPE-as I went there today to check it out,and finished board still moving by tractor trailer,as a JB Hunt trailer,pulled by a Boyd tractor was leaving the mill headed to the South

Looks like BIW has been "stock piling" steel plate and storing it in Brunswick! Several loads,including 3 on bulkhead flats have been there for several weeks.

Bud

by bwparker1

Bud:

I was pretty jazzed about the sighting of PO-8, as I was literally in downtown Freeport for about 2 hours. This will make it 2 for 2 for my recent trips to Maine to catch a Brunswick local. Hopefully my luck will continue on my next visit! Please keep me posted on the Lewiston lower branch.

BWP

by emd_16645

MEC407 wrote:Very interesting. I wonder what Maine Eastern plans on doing with the baggage cars!
I don't know what they have planned for them, but they have been stored on a siding just south of Rt. 1 in Woolwich as of 12/29.