• GRS activity in Everett

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Cowford

Anyone have information on what business, if any, GRS is doing on the Everett waterfront? They access the area (adjacent to the NE produce distribution center) over a CSX spur, I believe. Thanks!
  by GP40MC1118

The only business left in Everett for Guilford is the scrap yard. The
cement is barged in now. CSX rules Everett with the New England
Produce Center, scrap and auto fluff loads outbound.

Off course, GRS passes through Everett on the mainline to and
from Salem about three times a week.

Dave

by CSX Conductor

Proverlizer of New England has two stub tracks on the water which they load cars with scrap/fluff as GP40 stated. usually shove 7 empties in one track and pull 7 loads off the other daily. (Can get pretty close to it by following the tracks from the crossing at Beacham Street, which is the main street from the N.E.P. to Rte99)

by Tracer

I know this is an ancient thread but i was wondering if anyone knew when and how often grs/par serves the waterfront area in Everett?

I am currently working in the area and i have a great view of the bridge that spans the mystic river, but all i usually see crossing the bridge is short Guilford locals with usually a few hoppers and tank cars, so i am assuming there headed to Salem and/or Lynn area. I keep hoping to see a guilford train with some gondolas on the bridge so i can head over to Beacham St. and check it out. (are there currently any other custmers along the water other than scrap metal?)

If anyone had any inside info. of when PAR serves that area it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! (i write all this assuming PAR still serves this area)

by tom18287

im in the area all the time, i almost never see pan am. i saw them at piantadosi in 2006, and maybe about 10 years ago i saw a single engine on the saugus branch.

when do they cross the river?
  by GP40MC1118

BO-1 went to Everett Wednesday with 8 loads around 9AM...Came back
lite engine about an hour or so later. Like everything BO-1 does, its
as assigned. Depends on inbound scrap loads. A lot of time they will
accumilate down by Sullivan Square or up in old Yard 8.

D

by Tracer

Thanks GP, i was down there thursday and saw the shiny rails so i knew i just missed it.

Tom, im sure others can answer alot better than me, but it seems like almost everyday i see a northbound par going over the bridge at about 9am then returning sometime around noon.

by CSX Conductor

We've been getting alot of loads lately for Proverlizer too. It depends on the car-hire-rate I guess. CSX's local works Sunday @ 10am and Monday-Thursdays starting @ 300pm. If they're going over there to service scrap it would be around 300/400pm. :wink:

by consist

I'm foggy on the exact customer location but cement business is back for this local. Some old CN cement hoppers restamped CSLX with extremely low numbers (single-double digits) are popping up more than occasionally in the yard 8/BET/Sullivan area.

by CSX Conductor

Rover Street. If you take Beacham Street off Rte.99 (BRoadway) in Everett bear right after the tank farm and follow the tracks. :wink:

by csrrfan86

I saw #6238 pull 5 empty reefers and 8 empty scrap cars off the waterfront this afternoon. What is the name of the place next to the scrap siding that gets reefers??

by GeepDude

I'm confused... so Guilford shares Proverlizer with csx? Who owns what over there?

by CSX Conductor

csrrfan86 wrote:What is the name of the place next to the scrap siding that gets reefers??
ColdWater Storage. They get empty reefers in and load them.

by CSX Conductor

GeepDude wrote:I'm confused... so Guilford shares Proverlizer with csx?
Proverlizer calls whoever offers cheaper rates. I've heard he often calls the CSX B721 crew on the phone thinking they're B&M & vice-versa.

by csrrfan86

Also noticed today a bunch of those CN hoppers sitting near the scrap yard. Its looks like "Preferred Cold Storage" is that place they pulled those reefers from yesterday.