• Grrr! Testor's Spray Paint 'Security' Wrapping

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Sir Ray

So, continuing my Saga of the galvanized paint methods, I got some Testor's Silver Spray Paint yesterday, to at least test-spray some scrap plastic.
Since I mostly use either Lowes/Home Depot spray paints, or when I need a model color I use Model Master, I had forgotten how incredibly stupid Testors Paint is packaged.
Model Master isn't too bad, yes you have to take a knife or box-cutter, and slice along the label to free the cap, but that's child's play compared to Testors, where you do the above, and then have a very irritating, unmarked plastic liner (they call it 'tape', and I guess it is), you have to cut again (1/8 inch under 'seam line') - just cutting along the dotted line on the label does not seem to work :(
I suppose this is either for security (albiet the <s>teenagers</s> European Tourists currently tagging our subway cars would just rip off the labels with their box cutters - they won't keep the cans after they're done anyway) or for liability (again, the little kids could just play with a spray can that Daddy already opened).
Anyone know why such an irritating system was chosen by Testor's in the first place, and if they ever plan to change it?

by conrail71

Hey,
While annoying the tape does one thing marginally well. The tape is supposed to keep the can from being "tested" in the store. I don't know how wide spread a problem this used to be but some racks are still displaying the "tests".
Mike

by NellsChoo

Know it well... just so used to it it is no longer a problem! :wink: SOme places ID you when you buy spray paint now...

by Dieter

Just two cuts with a razor blade;

1) Find the seam and go through it and around.

2) A vertical cut from the seam to the top of the wrapper.

No sweat, just watch your fingers. Yes, those pesky wrappers are indeed a PIA.

D/

by hoborich

I was going through the self checkout at Wal-Mart with a tube of rubber cement, and an "associate" had to approve it.

by Dieter

I remember when that first became an issue, and their bogus way around it was the store wouldn't sell you a tube of glue unless you purchased a plastic model kit. One day I was in a cigar store standing next to my mother and they wouldn't sell it to me......

How many of you remember PACTRA Model Cement in the gold tube with a red arrow on it? That cement had better working qualities than Testors ever did. I was so pissed when Testors bought out Pactra and stopped manufacturing the Pactra cement. They should have switched recipes and dumped out their own runny garbage!

D/