• Green Line relocation project status

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Charliemta

I think the delay is due to additional repairs required on the old concrete viaduct between Lechemere and Science Park stations. There is lots of spalling concrete and exposed rusting rebar that needs to be repaired. It's not major structural work, but it is time consuming, requiring a lot of hand work.

by aline1969

Just talked to my friend who operates out of Charlestown and he says the green line shuttle bus is on the fall schedule pick through December, he said it could get pulled before that but who knows.

by octr202

I would guess there's at least another month of work to go. They have been patching areas of broken concrete all over the viaduct, but they seem to have the worst of that done. Just this past week I noticed that the old drawspan has been stripped of everything -- ties, rail, decking -- and is down to just the steel girders.

The new connection appears to be substantially complete. Catenary and signals are up on the new incline, and I've seen hi-rial trucks on it, so track is obviously complete as well.

by ckb

The frustrating thing is that the working going on now could have been going on a year ago, when the viaduct was first shut down, but it appears to have only started a few months ago.

Am I mistaken or was there very bad project management here?

by CSX Conductor

ckb wrote:Am I mistaken or was there very bad project management here?
Excuse me, but did you forget what city we are in?!? LOL :P

by MBTA1

Bad News, while talking to a friend of mine who works for the T I was informed that the project could be delayed until next March. He said he heard it from another operator so I don't know how true it actually is but that's what I heard.

by Mdlbigcat

CSX Conductor wrote:

And I thought Philly had cornered the market on bad management!!!!!!!!!

by octr202

Mdlbigcat wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:

Hey, if you're used to SEPTA, you'd feel right at home on the T!

by Silverliner II

octr202 wrote:
Mdlbigcat wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:

Is that why I felt right at home the last time I was in Boston? That explains everything! :-D
  by Mdlbigcat

octr202 wrote:
Mdlbigcat wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:

I sure did! The Green Line cars sound like the K cars on SEPTA, and the door chimes on the subways [especially the Blue and Orange Lines] sound EXACTLY like the door chimes on the Broad St Subway.

The Ashmont-Mattapan PCC's brought back so many memories of the old Philly PCC's [they're gone now, The PCC2's are LRV's in a PCC skin].

One thing is different, even though the Flyer Trolleys and the AM General trolleys look almost the same, the chopper control on SEPTA's AM Generals made the buses sound much different than the cam controls on the Flyers. On the other hand SEPTA's AMG's are down and out, and your Flyers are still going.

by BosUmbrosguy

Anyone have a fresh update on the restoration of the trolleys to Lechmere?
  by Silverliner II

Mdlbigcat wrote:On the other hand SEPTA's AMG's are down and out, and your Flyers are still going.
And even the Flyers are on borrowed time, thanks to the new Neoplan/Skoda coaches now entering service up there in Beantown....

by AznSumtinSumtin

The relocation project is almost done. Just some electrical work and patching up the crumbling viaduct is need.
  by octr202

Silverliner II wrote:
Mdlbigcat wrote:On the other hand SEPTA's AMG's are down and out, and your Flyers are still going.
And even the Flyers are on borrowed time, thanks to the new Neoplan/Skoda coaches now entering service up there in Beantown....
I keep wondering about that. The way they keep reapinting the Flyers, makes me wonder if they're going that soon...

Of course, it'd be a move right up there with SEPTA-logic to repaint tracklesses right before they're retired.

As for the viaduct, they've meticulously patched the cracks on the exterior side of the structure, however, there are still some sizeable ones on the insides of the arches. I wonder if those are getting done, or not. If they are, it could be a while...