• Green Line Operators at their BEST?(NOT)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by StevieC48

understandable. I believe it works inconjunction with the attached type 8 when they are coupled together. You are right when they are hooked up to 8's you will heard the ADA tones. however the type 7's 3600-3699 are exempt to ADA unless they get modified. To which some are to run with the 8's so one way or another they should have ADA tones.

by efin98

StevieC48 wrote:understandable. I believe it works inconjunction with the attached type 8 when they are coupled together. You are right when they are hooked up to 8's you will heard the ADA tones. however the type 7's 3600-3699 are exempt to ADA unless they get modified. To which some are to run with the 8's so one way or another they should have ADA tones.
They weren't hooked up the Type 8s though, the two cars on my train were modified Type 7s. They have the tones, they must be standard equiptment per ADA regulations.

by StevieC48

Well thanks for that. I realy wasn't paying too close attention to the mod Type 7's that came back from Littleton and want to thank you for correcting me. I will pay closer attention. Im looking foward to the arrival of the new 0700's from Siemans. Which the first cars are due in July/August 2005 (Hopefully). They are to hopefully not going to have many BUGS as the Type 8's LOL.

by Plaidline

Right; mistakes happen, but it's a matter of the driver's attitude that makes the difference.

I was getting on at Cleveland Circle a few weeks ago and was pulling myself up onto the stairs onto the trolley, which is a tedious effort for me, and the driver yelled at me "come on, come on, I gotta close the door." I wrote to the MBTA about this, and they wrote me a really nice apology and said the driver has been spoken to and would receive sensitivity training.

I really think though that in the case you mentioned with the blind person, the drivers really shouldn't just assume that people can move quickly. This leads to a lot of doors getting slammed on people. It's like how people driving their cars in this town speed up through crosswalks before the person is out of the way, anticipating their speed. If the person missteps or falls or stops, they're going to get run over. It's the same deal with the T doors; they glance in the mirror and see a person and they assume it's a young able-bodied person who will be out of the way by the time the door shuts.

Another assholish green line operator story...I was on the T a couple years ago with a client who very visibly has Down syndrome. He showed his T access pass, and I walked on behind him and said "attendant" and nodded toward him. The driver told me, "No, you gotta pay." I told her that the TAP includes one attendant free of charge, and she said "No, those passes are for THOSE kind of people." Right in front of this gentleman. I called the T and they called back a few days later and said the operator had acknowledged the incident and was fired.

by StevieC48

You are right some operators have blinders towards the handicaped and special needs persons. I myself observed an operator giving someone in a wheelchair a hard time becaues he was "inconviencing" the operator. Because the operator had to load the wheelchair. I assisted the person on the wheelchair getting on and off the car tp help the distraught operator. THe operator told me to mind me to mind my buisness and to stop interfering with him or I would be arrested. I rode in till Copley called over the Inspector and explained to him what took place. He took my info down and what happened from there God only knows. "Dout the Inspector did anything". I wrote the T about the incident so it didnt fall on deaf ears when I got to my office, they wrote back and took diciplanary actions against the operator. God forbid any one with a wheelchair try manuevering the green line is is very DIFICULT and some employees shutter when they see a wheelchair passenger. And you are correct that if someone has a H/P pass that the person accompaning the person shall ride for free the operator in your case was wrong .