• Green B&A engines

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by superwarp1

Whether it was Hudsons, Pacifics, or Berkshires. Is there any proof or pics for that matter of Green engines on B&A? I also heard this was only done at the West Springfield shops, true?
  by Bemused

superwarp1 wrote:Whether it was Hudsons, Pacifics, or Berkshires. Is there any proof or pics for that matter of Green engines on B&A? I also heard this was only done at the West Springfield shops, true?
Gary:

See Page 50 of Al Staufer's "Steam Power of the New York Central System," Volume 1. H.W. Pontin photo taken at Beacon Park of A-1b 1426. The photo is captioned (in part) "The boiler jacket and cylinder lagging are painted sea green." The photo is B&W but you are able to realize the color difference as it contrasts with the cag and tender.

In the same volume on Page 49, Staufer notes "2-8-4 Berkshire, class A-1b (1425-1444) built by Lima in 1927."
  by superwarp1

That's one of Staufer's books I don't have. I have the Hudson book and the Later Power book. I'll have to buy this one.

Thanks Bemused.