• Grease lubricated bushings

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

by bengt

When in Zabalkalsk in Siberia at the border to China I saw some L-class locos. The bearings apear to have been grease lubricted.
To me it was the very first time I saw grease lubricated steam locos.
On the upper picture it is a bushing (or a cover protecting the crank pin?) with a lot of holes on.
If it is a bushing, had american grease lubricated bushings also such holes?
  by Steffen

Well....
I do not much know about this, but we in Germany hat roller bearing locomotives, which were all grease lubricated.
Those bearings has to be regulary greased by a manual connectable grease gun.

In the picture you mention, I guess, that the bushing you see is the bushing to ensure the lateral motion of the driving rod bearing
  by johnthefireman

Looks very much like the bearings on a South African steam locomotive, which are lubricated with a hard high-temperature grease.

In South Africa the hard grease gets to these bearings via large nipples, which I don't see on these photos - I can only see the small nipples for normal grease. We use a grease gun where sticks of grease are fed in and you push down hard on a long handle to force the grease into the nipple. We normally grease the bearings when the loco has run a bit so they are warm. I think I've seen a compressed air-operated grease gun in the workshop at the Durango and Silverton in the USA.

Our axle bearings are also lubricated with hard grease. A "pad" of grease with a perforated metal cover is forced against the bearing by a spring-loaded plate. As it gets warm the grease begins to come through the holes in the cover to lubricate the axle bearing.

Cheers!
John
  by Juniatha

Yep, these were grease lubricated bushings - upper photo shows floating bushing. That was adopted from US steam practice.
  by EDM5970

In either photo, take a look at the eccentric crank. At about the 1 o:clock position, there is a projection with a groove all the way around it. That is a buttonhead grease fitting. There is also one just to the right, on the end of the crankpin for the rod going to the next driver. In the US, air operated guns were frequently used, feeding sticks of grease maybe 1 inch in diameter. There are also hand operated guns, much slower to use.
  by johnthefireman

There are also hand operated guns, much slower to use
I can second that! Not only slow, but hard work. In South Africa we use sticks of hard grease which are only about 1/2 inch diameter. We usually grease when the bearings are a little warm, which makes it easier, but ironically the hard grease stick itself needs to be cool (otherwise it becomes too soft), so in the high temperatures found in South Africa most of the year we often put the sticks in a bucket of water.