• Grand Trunk to Lewiston

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by BM6569

The other day ? walked the Grank Trunk line from railroad park in lewiston to the part where the MEC crossed over it. Does anyone know why the line was just abandonded and the tracks never ripped up. Almost all the line is intact. Is there an old map that would show railroad structures along that line? I thought I saw remnants of some.
Was it just a single tracked line all the way into lewiston.
It seems like they could just do some brush cutting, bring in some gravel and replace some ties and a few rails and a train could be runnng on it. I know that they covered the rails at railroad park but are the rails intact over the bridge to the station?
The rails looked better than the Guilford ones in Rumford in those photos posted. :P

Warren

by SLR 393

No business left down there on the branch to serve, but I am guessing the tracks were left in place for the future. If you can get E. Robertsons Grand Trunk 713 and the Lewiston Branch, or the Grand Trunk Photo Album (same author) you will see some branch pics. The 713 book has a track map of the lewiston side - lots of stuff over there. Now a big park where they have the balloon festival and stuff. Some rails are still in place, along with the bridges. They would have a lot of work to do to reopen the line for trains.

Neat little branch, if I only had a small space and wanted a steam era switching layout that would probably be what I modeled.