• Grade crossings in Anson to be restored

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

Hearing scheduled tonight on railroad crossings

ANSON -- Work to restore several railroad crossings in Anson and North Anson villages should start soon, once the process is aired at a public hearing at 7 tonight at the Town Hall.

Read the rest of the story at:
http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/n ... 6467.shtml

by wolfmom69

Interesting; a group of us was talking last weekend at Danville Jct. if there was any "progress" on the businesses that were interested in using rail. Can't recall for sure,but one was a "quarry",and another,a lumber operation in the Anson-Embden area?

Don't expect anything quick,if the 6 months PLUs job to put the siding and switch to serve Correct Deck in Biddeford by the Nissens spur is any indicator. Correct Deck is still using trucks for delivery!!!

Hey,imagine being a "salesman" or "customer service representative for Guilford,and depending on "commissions" for a living????!!!!!

Bud :P

by MEC407

Allegedly the quarry in Anson or Embden would be used by Guilford for ballast rock, so maybe they'll be faster with this job. :wink:

by Rockingham Racer

I assume we're in Maine?

by MEC407

Rockingham Racer wrote:I assume we're in Maine?
Yes. Note that the web site where the news article is located is MaineToday.com. :-)

by b&m 1566

Wait..... If I'm understanding the article correctly, the rail line is not in use and there still fixing the crossings for possible re-use? If so WHY?

by wolfmom69

b&m 1566; living in a state that has a sound fiscal policy,like N.H.,I know it is hard to realize how the State of Maine "wastes" money! Brush cutting,and rehab of the Lewiston Lower Branch from Brunswick to the Pejepscot Mill site in Topsham,6 years ago,and it has never seen a revenue move since! Now,we are going to put up crossing protection,at sparsely travelled side streets, for 5 mph movements over the newly renovated section of track for Maine Eastern's seasonal weekend passenger trains!

So,this doesn't surprise me at Anson!

Yes,the Feds kick in most of the $$$$,but taxes(and their use as a weapon on the local property level) is killing the way of life in Maine.

Bud :(