• Grabauskas leading candidate for MBTA top job?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by apodino

Just wondering what peoples take on this is? Would he be a good pick for the T? And will he help bring some long needed expansion on some areas? If he is the guy, I don't think its a bad choice, but I would wonder what someone from out of the area would think if he came in and looked at everything on the table, rather than another person who has been around the area for ever and would be more subjective?

Globe Article

by vanshnookenraggen

The article doesn't say what his opinions are of some of the projects. I'd like to see what he thinks of the Silver Line and the Green Line to WM but I have a feeling it might not be any different.

by efin98

For him to take the job as GM of the MBTA it would be a severe downgrade. He is already the Chairman of the MBTA and head of the EOTC. The only person with more power over transportation in the state is the Governor.

by trigonalmayhem

but it pays better...

by efin98

trigonalmayhem wrote:but it pays better...
And is political poison...dout he wants to poison his future by taking a dead-end job that won't lead anywhere else. At least in EOTC he can move up to one of the statewide jobs in the future if he chooses and the governor is a Republican.

by efin98

I stand corrected, the guy really did leave his job as Chairman of the Board to become the next GM of the MBTA!

Globe news story here. I guess he's going to use the lessons he learned by reforming the Registry of Motor Vehicles to reform the MBTA.

by vanshnookenraggen

I'm going to hold back any criticism until I see what he does with the T. It probably won't be as great as it could be but if he makes it better than it is now then he will be worth it.

by darksun23c

Well, Romney has thrown support behind this guy. Depending on how long Romney is around and whether he wants to, he could follow Romney's budget for expansion. I think that wouldn't be so bad. It's not everything, but it is better than nothing. Plus, with the debt the MBTA is facing it's suprising that expansion would be considered seriously. I'm suprised that he wants this job though. I think I'd die within a few minutes of work.

by efin98

The money for the esxpansion comes from different sources and wouldn't affect the budget.

If Romney is defeated in 2006 then Grabauskas has a choice- stay in the job(don't believe it's a political turnover job) or leave with him. If he can do what he wants pretty easily then I see him staying on, if not then I think he cuts his losses and leaves for greener places elsewhere...

by trainhq

Grabauskas has gotten good reviews for his work both
at the Registry of Motor Vehicles and as Secretary of
Transportation. I think he's as good a manager as the
T could have gotten.