• Goshen area lines

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by joshuahouse

I'm considering Goshen College, which is of course in Goshen Indiana. There are two lines running through the town, the main line which runs westward towards Elkhart, South Bend and Chicago, and a line that runs directly by the college headed south towards a jct with CSX in a place called Milford Jct.

My question is how much traffic does this second line see? A few trains a week or several a day? The college has a heating plant directly adjacent to the tracks, I don't suppose they receive coal there do they?

Also what industries are in Goshen? I know there is an RV plant in Goshen, do they receive raw materials by rail?

Finally, how are the railroads and police about railfans? I saw a report about tickets being issued at Milford Jct back in 2000, is this sort of thing common?

by edkyle99

I think you should be looking at something like 6-9 trains/day on
the portion of the Marion line that passes through Goshen College.
Traffic has increased on this line since the Conrail breakup.

- Ed Kyle

by joshuahouse

Thank you Mr. Kyle. By the way, that is a very impressive collection of traffic level maps.

by Hoosier Joe

The NYC Museum in Elkhart should be a safe trainwatching place,hopefully its still there in downtown Elkhart.Thanks for the map link. Joe G.