• Google Maps Aerials

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by iandavid

Google Maps is my new favorite invention.

Check this out: Aerial view of BET

:-D

Please feel free to add your own cool spots to this thread. Just drag and zoom the map until you find your spot, and then right-click the "Link this page" link in the upper right-hand corner of the page and hit "copy shortcut".

by efin98

My favorite

It's small, but I just love that area...

by Robert Paniagua

And not to mention, this map can easily be moved around to get aerial views of ther things, like high school football fields, and even trace your driving locations too! Not a bad map at all, which can be also used to trace abandoned railroad ROW's and those that are active.

by ceo

Those aerials come from the MassGIS database, which is also available (less conveniently) here. Much more interesting is their online data viewer, which lets you combine aerials and topos with a lot of other layers... including what appears to be nearly every rail line ever built in the state. It actually includes the Harvard Square Branch, which went defunct in the 1800s, and the lines now submerged under the Quabbin and Wachusett Reservoirs. Here's a sample.

by octr202

ceo wrote:Those aerials come from the MassGIS database, which is also available (less conveniently) here. Much more interesting is their online data viewer, which lets you combine aerials and topos with a lot of other layers... including what appears to be nearly every rail line ever built in the state. It actually includes the Harvard Square Branch, which went defunct in the 1800s, and the lines now submerged under the Quabbin and Wachusett Reservoirs. Here's a sample.
The MassGIS site also allows you to zoom further in than Google Maps does.

by Derek Bernier

Very nice maps, but don't even bother going thru mapquest, they removed their aerial photo section. I even got to see an aerial shot of South Station, this is KEWL!