• Good places to photograph CSRR action

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Otto Vondrak

I'm going to be in Fryburg, ME again this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone can suggest any locations where I can photograph Conway Scenic trains... would it be better for me to go out on Saturday or Sunday? I know the forecast calls for doom and gloom, but I figure I'll plan ahead anyway. I'm looking for locations around Conway and North Conway, I wont be able to travel all over looking for spots...

-otto-

by Steam

There aren't a whole lot of great places to shoot the "Valley Train" between Conway and North Conway. There's a couple of crossings, and the West Side Road out of Conway follows the track part of the way. There's a good low trestle across a farmer's field, but you'd need a telephoto lens to get "in there". The grade coming up into North Conway next to the golf course is always good in the afternoon.

As for trains to Bartlett, you have the crossing at Intervale and a couple of other spots further on, such as around Glen. And of course in Bartlett itself. Not the greatest selection.

Good hunting! Come back when the 7470 is running again this summer (hopefully!)

by bwparker1

Go to Portland if you can, much more train action.

Brooks

by Otto Vondrak

Portland? I don't think I'll see many Conway Scenic trains there. I'll be in Fryeburg and Conway for the weekend only.

Didn't the state just build a new bridge for the Conway Scenic somewhere near Conway? I think I saw that in Railpace a year back. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I remember it being on a high fill, didn't know if it was readily photographable.

-otto-

by Steam

You're referring to the new stretch of former Maine Central track (abandoned Mountain Division) which was built after a by-pass road was constructed on the old right of way. It must have cost millions, and except for an occasional CSR "extra" move once or twice a year, nothing runs on it (or likely ever will!). It is easy to photograph... just get yourself over to the new By-Pass Road around the village of North Conway. There it is in all its splendor!!! You won't believe your eyes.

by Otto Vondrak

So why was that track constructed?

by CN9634

Incase rail service is ever restored to that area. Its a "Just incase" thingy :-D

by MEC407

Somebody, thank God, had the foresight to rebuild it now, rather than at some point down the road when the abutters have encroached on it and when steel and concrete will cost 3x as much.

by Cowford

just like the Rockland Branch :(

by Otto Vondrak

Hmmm. Well, I guess that's a good thing! Too bad I wont see a train on it. I guess I'll stick close to Conway and hope I see something.

-otto-

by Noel Weaver

Otto, I would think the Crawford Notch route would be the best and most
scenic area, they don't go very fast so you should be able to follow them.
One word of warning, this time of the year is Black Fly season in that
area.
Some years ago when the line was still an active part of the Maine Central
I took a week of vacation and traveled up there. The Black Flys were out
both day and night and all of the time in between. It was not pleasant,
these things really hurt when they bite and bite they definately will.
Noel Weaver

by Engineer999

Nothing runs regulerly on the CSRR south of the Intervale switch on the MEC Mountain Division. You can catch the northbound Bartlett and Crawford Notch trains at the switch in Intervale, next to the Intervale depot (I think it is still there), or at the Rte 302 crossing on the way back. If the weather is clear enough, you will get Mt. Washington in the background. Another depot is in Glen, NH (4 miles north), and there also is a truss bridge a few hundred yards north of that depot. Another mile north of the Glen station, there is a double truss bridge acoss the Saco. You can get down to it if you don't mind walking in the river. Water should be low.

At this time, there is a small group of motor car enthusiasts who are planning to be working in the Redstone area, moving south to the Maine State line (Fryeburg), clearing the brush from the line. They will be there only on Friday and Saturday. Check for evidence of them in the Redstone area, and then work you way back toward Fryeburg. The last crossing in NH is pretty dense with underbrush, so you will be able to tell if they were there.

Engineer999

by MEC407

Noel Weaver wrote:One word of warning, this time of the year is Black Fly season in that area. Some years ago when the line was still an active part of the Maine Central I took a week of vacation and traveled up there. The Black Flys were out both day and night and all of the time in between. It was not pleasant, these things really hurt when they bite and bite they definately will. Noel Weaver
Amen to that! The flies and skeeters are wicked bad this year. All the moisture we've gotten over the spring has really souped them up. The little bastards bite me just walking from my house to my truck. It used to be just an annoyance, but now we've got the "terrible specter" of West Nile and EEE to worry about. :(

This stuff works well:

http://www.tendercorp.com/bens.html

by b&m 1566

Good photo shots between Conway and North Conway: I like the scene when the train pulls out of the Conway yard just before it crosses route 16 in route to North Conway. West Side Rd. crossing is a good spot (better if you get the train going south). North Conway Station has a good shot when the train heads up the 3% grade (steepest climb on the CS according to Tim, a CSRR conductor) and of course as it sits at the station.

The tracks from Mt. Junction (Intervale) and Redstone only sees service on railfan's weekend. Last year on railfan's weekend engine 15 took the Carol P. Reed car out going from N. Conway to Intervale then down to Redstone and then up to Sawyers River and back to N. Conway. Engine 1055 also made a trip last year down to Redstone with its frieght extra going from N. Conway to Intervale down to Redstone and up to Bartlett and back to N. Conway. I'm not sure if the 470 RR Club runs to Redstone on there fan trip but the MBRRE (when there is one on the CSRR) goes down to Redstone as well.

(Little off topic) As noted earlier about the tracks being cleared from Redston to the NH/ME boarder I did hear about that when I was on the MBRRE "Tour of the Line" and over heard that the CSRR might go to the state line on this years railfan's weekend. I also heard that the track going from the Conway yard to the Madison/Conway town line a distance of 1/2 a mile to a mile will also be cleared and pavement removed from the tracks at the grade crossings with in area; however I was not able to finish listening to the individuals talking and never found out if the CSRR will run a train to the town line of Madison.

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks all for the tips! The cabin I'm staying at is located along the dormant MEC trackage in Fryeburg. Talk to you soon!

-otto-