Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by CHIP72

THIS MESSAGE IS BEING POSTED ON BOTH THE NYC SUBWAYS AND LIRR BOARDS

Sometime later this year, probably in the fall, I plan on taking another Saturday day trip to NYC from Harrisburg. (I'll also be traveling to the Big Apple in early September, but that trip will primarily be for a Yankees game, rather than a rail station/line exploration trip.) The thing I'd like to do the most on the fall trip is check out some of the major train stations in NYC besides NYP and GCT, preferably ones that serve both the subway system and the LIRR (or Metro-North). Based on the MTA map, Jamaica and Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn look like my highest priority targets.

Having said the above, my questions are:

1) Am I correct in saying Jamaica and Flatbush Avenue are the best stations to visit on the subways/LIRR, or are there other stations on the subway system and/or LIRR that are more important, busier, more interesting hubs?

2) If I had to choose to visit one or the other, which station would be a better visit, Jamaica or Flatbush Avenue? I've heard both are significant hubs but Jamaica is a bigger, more significant hub. I'm particularly interested in the activity and amenities at stations and to a lesser degree the station building architecture.

3) Is a ride on the JFK AirTrain worthwhile? Also, I've read it costs $5. Would it cost $5 per ride or $5 roundtrip?

4) (For those of you reading this on the LIRR forum, don't be offended.) If I go to Jamaica (which is likely), is it worth the extra cost for me to take the subway for half the trip and the LIRR on the other half? If the answer is yes, are there any routes in particular I should use on the LIRR?

5) Are there any sort of discounts to ride the LIRR on weekends? I read somewhere on the LIRR board there is a fairly cheap weekend day pass for city zone travel (which is probably all I'd be doing). Is that correct?

6) Bonus question for the NYC subways board - is the NYC subways/Metro-North station at Harlem-125th Street station worth a visit, having said what I said in Comment #2? Is that station safe during the day?

********************************************************************************

In addition to the above questions, I have one, final, LIRR-related question for future reference:

- Is it worth going to or from Shea Stadium on the LIRR Port Washington Branch? I've gone to/from Shea three times on the 7 Train but have never used the LIRR to the stadium in Flushing. Also, how crowded is the LIRR train from Penn Station prior to Mets games? My one complaint about the 7 Train is how crowded that train gets to/from Shea.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions, and I apologize if many of these questions have already been addressed on this message board.

by CHIP72

I forgot to ask one other thing - is the transit museum at Grand Central Terminal truly worth a visit? Also, how much does it cost?

by arrow

Well, let's see if I can help out some:

1) If you're not interested in Architecture, then you will not find Jamaica or Flatbush Avenue very interesting. The areas around them aren't the greatest either. I know Jamaica does have a lot of train activity though.

2) I would pick Jamaica.

3) The AirTrain ride is actually quite interesting. The stretch from Jamaica to JFK is very good - high speeds (about 60mph on this stretch) and it's fun to watch the cars below you all stuck in the never-ending traffic jam. The trip is $5 to get on OR off the train at Jamaica or Howard Beach so it's $10 round trip.

4) What I would do...ride LIRR to Jamaica from Penn Station. Take the AirTrain to Howard Beach (requires 1 AirTrain transfer). Then, take the A train back into Manhattan. You won't see much on the train since there's only a few stops before you go underground, but it's still interesting. But, I think you're more interested in LIRR so you might not enjoy this.

6) I've actually never been there, I would suggest the 1 train to 181 St and 191 St in Manhattan, these are very nice stations. You also get the rare stretch of elevated tracks in Manhattan at 125 St.

The Transit Museum is in Brooklyn. The one in Grand Central is a store and only has a small exhibit or two in it usually. All the trains and the rest of the museum's collection are in Brooklyn.

Enjoy your trip :P

by Fred Rabin

Add to your baseball list:

RED SOX - Green line B. C or D branch.

by CHIP72

Arrow - actually I'm probably more interested in riding the NYC subways, because usually I buy a $7 day pass and would rather not spend too much extra money that I don't need to spend. I was checking LIRR fares last night though, and I probably would take one trip on the LIRR (either Penn Station to Jamaica or Jamaica to Flatbush Avenue) on the next NYC rail/general sightseeing & investigation trip, especially if it is on a Saturday (likely) and either of the aforementioned LIRR rides was $3 (current weekend City Terminal Zone one-way fares on the LIRR and Metro-North). I've never ridden the LIRR (or MNRR), so that is a factor.

I do have some degree of interest in the building architecture, so if Jamaica has an attractive building design, that's a bonus.

I realized when I checked the NYC MTA website that I goofed when I was talking about NYC Transit Museum; I meant the store at GCT. Are either the store at GCT or museum in Brooklyn worthwhile? I'll probably visit the store either way.

One final question - how easy is it to get to the site where Ebbets Field was located by subway, and is that neighborhood safe? I'm guessing from looking at the MTA map and having some idea where Ebbets Field was located that Prospect Park (B/Q/S) is the closest station to that site. Is that correct?

Thanks for your responses.

by CHIP72

Fred Rabin wrote:Add to your baseball list:

RED SOX - Green line B. C or D branch.
I need to get to Fenway Park period (and a number of other MLB parks). Considering the disaster known as the Boston street system, I'm sure I'll use rail to get Fenway, if and when I go there. With me hating the Red Sox, hopefully they'll lose when I go there too. :P

(P.S. I appreciate the comment though. There's something special about the communal atmosphere of riding to a baseball game or other sporting event on a train with lots of other people doing the same thing and striking up conversations with some of those people.)

by Fred G

What I've done is taken the J elevated from Chambers St out to Jamaica and ridden back via LIRR. The J crosses the Williamsburgh Bridge and is elevated from that point eastward, and also includes cars with a railfan window, as in you can see out the front of the train and enjoy the BMT grandeur of that line. The ride from Jamaica to Penn is quick, and includes a ride through Sunnyside Yards before entering the tunnel to Manhattan. I agree that Jamaica would be a better railfanning station than Flatbush.

As for Harlem-125th, I've many times taken the Lexington Express from GCT and walked the block west to the MN Station, unaccosted and without problems, day or evening (or have done the reverse from MN to Subway). Harlem-125th is a nice place to railfan as you'll see a nice mix of rolling stock, diesel trains and electric. It's pretty good on a Saturday, but really roars to life during weekday rush hours.

$3 for a City Ticket one-way on any LIRR or MN train whose destination is within NYC limits is a pretty good deal.

Here's a link to the Transit Museum:
http://www.mta.info/mta/museum/general.htm

The annex at GCT is pretty cool, and even if you don't find it that way, it won't take significant time out of your daytrip to visit. You can also purchase your $7 FunPass there if you like.

by MACTRAXX

And add another two cities to your baseball/rail list-CHICAGO-Howard/Dan Ryan Red Line-SOX/35 for the White Sox and Addison for the Cubs. In St.Louis it is METROLINK at Busch Stadium station for the Cardinals. MACTRAXX

by CHIP72

MACTRAXX wrote:And add another two cities to your baseball/rail list-CHICAGO-Howard/Dan Ryan Red Line-SOX/35 for the White Sox and Addison for the Cubs. In St.Louis it is METROLINK at Busch Stadium station for the Cardinals. MACTRAXX
Actually, there are a number of cities besides those mentioned where one can use rail to get to the game. I know rail is a viable option in Cleveland (GCRTA Red, Blue, or Green Lines) and Oakland (BART & Amtrak) and I'm pretty sure it is viable in Toronto and San Francisco too. Rail can be used in Pittsburgh (Port Authority light rail), but it isn't too convenient in terms of the drop-off point or accessibility to the rail outside of downtown Pittsburgh. There are a few other cities (Atlanta, Houston, Denver, Anaheim, San Diego) where rail may be a viable possibility but I'm not sure.

Incidentally, in many of the cities listed in this thread (at the very least, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Boston, Chicago, and Cleveland), one can get from the airport to the ballpark on rail without having to use anything except the train(s) and your two legs.

BTW MACTRAXX, thanks for your comments in the LIRR board version of this thread. You provided the most useful information of those who responded to the thread.

by motor

arrow wrote: The Transit Museum is in Brooklyn. The one in Grand Central is a store and only has a small exhibit or two in it usually. All the trains and the rest of the museum's collection are in Brooklyn.
I visited both Transit Museum sites on a charter bus trip to NYC in June 1985. The Brooklyn site is fantastic and is in an ex-subway station a block from the Borough Hall stop on the 4 (IRT). Signs guiding to it are nonexistent though. I had to ask a cop for directions once I was on the street.

The GCT location, when I visited it, had an exhibit on NYC transit in the movies (The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3, et al.).

motor

by pennsy

Hi All,

If you have the time, say at least half a day, you might just try a "game" we used to play as kids in NYC.

Carry a station map of the NYC subway system with you. Mark all stations that have a Frre Transfer point, either to another line, or another branch. The game was to ride on as many lines and trains as possible for the same fare, using only Free Transfer points. We would start off on the IRT, segue to the BMT, then onto the IND. We would wind up in the Bronx, from Brooklyn, and return to our station, trying to use as many trains and lines as possible. Naturally, take your camera with you, and feel free to get off at any station to explore it. Don't leave the station unless you want to buy another fare. And you will find some of the restaurants, fast food places, coffee shops, etc. along the stations have excellent food. You don't have to leave the station to enjoy a meal there, usually stand up or on a station bench etc. The section of the IND that takes you into the Rockaways would be especially scenic. I remember waiting for a train at the Broad Channel station, and every few minutes there was a plane from JFK right over my head, either taking off or landing. From the Far Rockaway station, you can walk about two blocks or so and board the LIRR and head towards the Jamaica station. That would be an extra fare.

Good luck, enjoy yourself and give us a full report upon your return.

by Pacobell73

6) Bonus question for the NYC subways board - is the NYC subways/Metro-North station at Harlem-125th Street station worth a visit, having said what I said in Comment #2? Is that station safe during the day?

I would skip this stop. While there is a great deal of train activity, it is dangerous spot.

Same with Flatbush Avenue on the LIRR. it is underground, and even though it got a recent facelift, it is another bad spot. Stick with Jamaica.

For a double shot, get off at the Woodside station stop. The #7 Flushing subway line runs over the LIRR stop. Every LIRR line (except the Flatbush line) runs through Woodside. Plus, the headways on the 7 are superb, probably the most frequest on the the NYCT system.

Another great subway watching spot is Coney Island. The station received an amazing restoration and looks quite a modern (a little too modern if you ask me). Plenty of trains going there, too. The fact this is the off season may not appeal to you, but Coney is still a great place. Don't forget to grab a real Nathan's Famous hotdog. They may be a chain nowadays, but the real Nathan's Famous is in Coney. Again. the neighborhood is not the greatest, but it is much better than Flatbusbh Ave. or 125 Street in Harlem.

Hope this helps!

by Pacobell73

I would skip this stop. While there is a great deal of train activity, it is dangerous spot.

Same with Flatbush Avenue on the LIRR. it is underground, and even though it got a recent facelift, it is another bad spot. Stick with Jamaica.

For a double shot, get off at the Woodside station stop. The #7 Flushing subway line runs over the LIRR stop. Every LIRR line (except the Flatbush line) runs through Woodside. Plus, the headways on the 7 are superb, probably the most frequest on the the NYCT system.

Another great subway watching spot is Coney Island. The station received an amazing restoration and looks quite a modern (a little too modern if you ask me). Plenty of trains going there, too. The fact this is the off season may not appeal to you, but Coney is still a great place. Don't forget to grab a real Nathan's Famous hotdog. They may be a chain nowadays, but the real Nathan's Famous is in Coney. Again. the neighborhood is not the greatest, but it is much better than Flatbusbh Ave. or 125 Street in Harlem.

Hope this helps!

by Fred G

Pacobell73 wrote:6) Bonus question for the NYC subways board - is the NYC subways/Metro-North station at Harlem-125th Street station worth a visit, having said what I said in Comment #2? Is that station safe during the day?

Hope this helps!
I disagree with you about MN 125th. I've been there many times without incident. The same goes for LIRR Flatbush. To be fair, my visits were between the hours of 5 am and 10 pm, but still, I'd hardly call them dangerous locations, at least not any moreso than any other stations in NYC.

by pnaw10

Pacobell73 wrote:6) Bonus question for the NYC subways board - is the NYC subways/Metro-North station at Harlem-125th Street station worth a visit, having said what I said in Comment #2? Is that station safe during the day?

I'm more of a Metro-North person, and visit that board more often than this. Folks over there will tell you the 125th Street area actually isn't too bad during the day.

However, you should be aware (if you aren't already by now) that the Metro-North station and the subway station are NOT in the same place (even though the MTA website refers to Metro-North as a connection from the 4-5-6 at 125th Street). Metro-North runs along Park Avenue. The 4-5-6 subway lines run parallel, to the east, along Lexington Avenue. Granted, it is a short distance, but you will have some street travel to get from one to the other.

If you don't want to walk, there are four bus lines which run most of the way across Manhattan along 125th Street. Bx15, M60, M100 and M101. From Metro-North, you could go east to the 4-5-6 lines at Lexington. A short ride, but if you have a MetroCard FunPass, it's not like it's costing you anything.

Going west from Metro-North, all of those buses can get you to the 2&3 subway lines at Lenox Ave, or another few blocks for the A, B, C and D trains at St. Nicholas Ave. Or, take the Bx15 a little further west and you'll meet the #1 train at Broadway. (The other three buses leave 125th Street before reaching Broadway.)