• Going to Zone 8 with Zone 1 tickets?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by AznSumtinSumtin

Is it possible to go to Providence with zone 1 tickets without getting caught?

by Porter Sq

No you can't if the catch you they will hang you at the next station. If there nice the'll just throw you off you cheap bastard.

by ckb

If you're unwilling to pay for a service, you shouldn't be taking it. Its possible to ride a bike to Providence, especially in nice weather. Riding a train (or a bus, or a subway) without paying is theft, pure and simple. And, you can expect to get caught. Maybe not the first or second time you do it, but you will be busted.

Once again, I apologize for adding to stupid threads (funny how they always seem to appear on the weekends) but I couldn't help adding one of my favorite lawyer jokes to the fray:

Three lawyers and three engineers are traveling by train to a conference. At the station, the three lawyers each buy tickets and watch as the three engineers buy only a single ticket.

"How are three people going to travel on only one ticket?" asks one of the three lawyers.

"Watch and you'll see," answers one of the engineers.

They all board the train. The lawyers take their respective seats but all three engineers cram into a restroom and close the door behind them. Shortly after the train has departed, the conductor comes around collecting tickets.

He knocks on the restroom door and says, "Ticket, please." The door opens just a crack and a single arm emerges with a ticket in hand. The conductor takes it and moves on.

The lawyers saw this and agreed it was quite a clever idea. So after the conference, the lawyers decide to copy the engineers on the return trip and save some money. When they get to the station, they buy a single ticket for the return trip. To their astonishment, the engineers don't buy a ticket at all.

"How are you going to travel without a ticket," asks one perplexed lawyer.

"Watch and you'll see," says one of the engineers.

When they board the train, the three lawyers cram into a restroom and the three engineers cram into another one nearby. The train departs.

Shortly afterward, one of the engineers leaves his restroom and walks over to the restroom where the lawyers are hiding. He knocks on the door and says, "Ticket, please."[/b]

by Robert Paniagua

Porter Sq wrote:No you can't if the catch you they will hang you at the next station. If there nice the'll just throw you off you cheap jerk.
Exactly right about the fare issue.

That's called fare cheating, and even worse, in the eyes of the law, larceny of services which could also lead to a possible arrest. So, I strongly do not recommend that anyone try to get a reduced fare ride to the furthest point on MBCR or the Riverside D Green Line or an Express or Zoned Bus.
  by NealG

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:Is it possible to go to Providence with zone 1 tickets without getting caught?
The answer to the question as asked is yes, it is quite possible to to go to Providence with Zone 1 tickets.

I believe the question as to whether it is ethical (which was not asked), and assuming, as the previous respondents have, one's originating station is not with in the valid interzone fare (the closest station, being South Attleborough, a $2.50 fare), has been answered above.