• Going From Univ City To Broad & Girard

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by One of One-Sixty

I am trying to figure out a way for my little brother to get to school. during the strike.

He live is South Philly near the Univ City station and has to go all the way to Broad and Girard. Its been awhile since I been in Philly so I am not sure which is closer, the station at Temple or North Phila/North Broad?

Also what would be the fare out to the closest station from Univ City?

by whovian

If I were on foot I would get off the RR train at Temple U. North Broad station is a little closer to Girard than North Philadelphia.

by Umblehoon

Actually, I'd even suggest that Suburban is a better option.

Temple station may be a little closer, but it'll take longer to get to it, and your brother will have to walk through worse areas to get to school. Have him get off at Suburban, exit at Broad Street, and then start hoofing it north. As long as he's on Broad, he won't have any problems with being in North Philly. It's about a mile and a half, which should take about 30 minutes to walk. Temple to Broad & Girard is about 1.1 miles, which isn't much shorter, but it will easily take 10 extra minutes to get to that station, which will eat up any time savings from the shorter walk.

by greg19051

The walk will take about 20 minutes from Temple station - 15 minutes from Temple station to Girard and 5 minutes down Girard to Broad. I have walked from the trolley stop to Temple U (12th & Norris Streets) many times in 15 minutes or less, and the neighborhood is not bad at all to walk through. It is a lot shorter from Temple station to Broad and Girard. Plus, there is considerably less traffic down 11th or 12th Streets.

Greg19051
  by jsc

bull$***.

get off at Temple. The area around Temple station is getting more and more gentrified and safer and safer. there was a time when I might have agreed that it was a scary neighborhood but that time is about ten or fifteen years ago
  by Umblehoon

jsc wrote:bull$***.

get off at Temple. The area around Temple station is getting more and more gentrified and safer and safer. there was a time when I might have agreed that it was a scary neighborhood but that time is about ten or fifteen years ago
I'm here every day. It's not Kensington, but it's a major step down from the neighborhoods along Broad between City Hall and Girard. Walk 10 minutes longer to save the 10 minute train ride (to show up at the same time), and arrive in a guaranteed 1-piece condition.

by greg19051

I have walked from Temple to Girard many times, and I am still in one piece. The neighborhood around Temple is no worse than the one between City Hall and Girard.
Greg19051

by Umblehoon

greg19051 wrote:The neighborhood around Temple is no worse than the one between City Hall and Girard.
Greg19051
Agree to disagree?

Regardless, whether you sit on the train for 10 minutes longer or walk 10 minutes longer, someone going to Broad & Girard will arrive at the same time either way.

by One of One-Sixty

Thanks guys, much to my surprise he has decide to walk from 22 and South to school everday. We'll see how much long he will be doing this, but more power to him.

by Lucius Kwok

Personally, I would bike it. You end up wasting too much time walking to/from the station, waiting for the train, and then sitting on a slow, packed train negotiating the stations and junctions along the way.

by ktrain

Ah I have to agree with NOT going to Temple U station for a younger kid. While Temple students might fool themselves into thinking the area is fairly, it is not. Even an adult has to be savy or plain lucky to avoid trouble. Remember someone was shot not too far from the train station in the last year...

...the area between market and girard is leaps and bounds safer and nicer.

Plus on the whole you don't want to walk down a secluded street if the area is shady. Especially if you're a kid, the side streets are simply way inviting as targets for criminal activity.

by pennengineer

Walking is the best option. The walk from 22nd and South to University City Station is almost as long as the walk right to Suburban. Add in the waiting time and the slow speed, and he could easily walk to Suburban faster than he could take the train there. Plus, University City is in the wrong direction. The only person who would walk from 22nd and South to University City just to ride to Suburban would be a railfan going out of his way to ride a train.

by Umblehoon

Oh, I thought you were down on the other side of the river. No question, walking and/or biking the whole way is the best bet for your brother. It's almost as far to University City as it is to Suburban, so it's not worth the hassle of dealing with SEPTA at this time.