Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Ricshaw

Is Garden tower, or cabin still active? Don't know if there's much action around there anymore. Thanks.

by Dave Keller

"GARDEN" cabin, which was placed in service on 1/27/39, was closed in the 1990s.

Whether the building is still there, I have no idea.

The cabin replaced "GARDEN" tower which was the name given to the old "HC" tower (Hempstead Crossing) located east of Franklin Avenue at the crossing of the Central branch tracks with the tracks from Mineola to Hempstead. It was placed out of service on 1/27/39 when the cabin was opened and was razed shortly thereafter.

Here's "GARDEN" cabin in September of 1971.

Dave Keller
  by Ricshaw

Thanks for the info, Dave.

by JoeLIRR

Dave, Ricshaw,

I pass that area everyday I have seen absolutly no remains. of the old "GARDEN" shack.

I will give it a closer look this week and ill try to get a few pictures.

tho I will add, i walked the well weeded ROW between teh courthouses and HC and was suprised to actully find a relitavly long peice of rail in teh weeds. I got a pic of that.

any othere shots of the CRR as it appears today let me know and ill get'em.

Joe

by Dave Keller

Your quite welcome, Ronald!

Dave Keller

P.S. Check out Art Huneke's website: www.Arrts-Arrchives.com

He's got an entire section devoted to the old "HC" and "GARDEN" tower with terrific views of the structure and the crossing!!

Definitely worth a look! DK

by krispy

What used to be Garden was razed in either '99 or '00. It lasted as long as it did as it had a warm, functional bathroom - a plus for a maintainer in the winter. There wasn't many places in that neighborhood where one of the fellas could avail himself of the facilities of the eating establishments wearing a snowsuit and smelling of "eau de maintainer" (semaphore oil and graphite)...

by Dave Keller

Krispy:

Was 1999 or 2000 the "out of service" date of the cabin or was that just the year the structure was razed?

I don't have any employee timetables from the 1990s so I can't check to see what year "Garden" was no longer listed as an "in service" block station, etc.

Dave Keller

by krispy

Razed in '99 or '00. Not sure of when Garden was remoted to Queens, would guess mid to late 80's, definitely before 94...

by Dave Keller

Just had a friend with an employee timetable effective 6/5/95 look at the interlocking listings in the front of the table.

"GARDEN" was remote-controlled from "QUEENS" by that date. So the cabin and the block station were out of service already.

Anyone able to narrow it down any further?

Someone with employee timetables from the 1980s who can give the list a quick look and see what year "Garden" was last listed as a block station?

Dave Keller