• Full Crew Law

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by KV Webmaster

I was once told that the Kishacoquillas Valley Railroad, during the depression, only ran trains with a conductor, engineman and fireman and that this did not meet the Public Utilities Commission of Pennsylvania "full crew law" of four, and that it needed a brakeman on board. However, as I understand it, a full crew for a mixed train of over four cars is five (not four) - conductor, engineman, fireman, brakeman and flagman.

Do any of you know what the "full crew" was in the 1930's and possibly when it was made a law?

by scharnhorst

I'm not sure of how the laws work but I think it was a 5 man crew for freight trains as follows: conductor, engineer, fireman, brakeman and flagman.

Passenger would have been about the same with a head conductor and several porters??

by Alaskabound

During 1914 and 1915 the two major legislative battles fought by Maurer and the P.F.L. concerned the so-called "Extra Crew Law" and workmen's compensation. The former represented an effort by management to repeal the full crew railroad law of 1911 which had originally been passed in response to demands for safer operations. To management it represented a burdensome cost and thus was mounted a gigantic effort to repeal it. Despite the activities of labor, the repealer bill passed, but it was vetoed by Governor Martin G. Brumbaugh. Unfortunately, this victory was only temporary. In 1919 the repealer bill was passed again and this time approved by Governor William C. Sproul. Hope this helps , I found this info at http://www.berkshistory.org/articles/maurer.html