• Frequency of travel

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by gprimr1

I'm leaving MA for good in 5 days, and one thing I wanted to do was rail fan the Hoosaic Tunnel and the B&M Route towards the tunnel.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on spotting trains. I am either going on a Saturday or a Monday. I know that at Palmer there is a rule that there is a 26 minute headway between directional movements (I.E. Once a west bound comes through, there will be either another westbound, or after 26 minutes, an eastbound.)

Any tips would be appreciated :)

by Skullitor

Start EARLY at East Deerfield Yard. Use a scanner and head west toward the tunnel, Usually MOAY (Pig Train) and MOED most times with Canadian Pacific power.It all depends on whats happening in E.D. yard and the Dist 4 T.O.M.
Good Luck.
Skull :wink:

by gprimr1

I'm going back to MA in a week again. I did make 1 friend up there to visit.

It will be a monday. Think if I get going by 7am I'll find something? I'd love to find something coming east. I can probally stay around the portal until about 10:00am.

I found this website, it looks like there are alot of trains that use the tunnel.

http://home.comcast.net/~Petlick/grs.htm

by Skullitor

gprimr1 wrote:I'm going back to MA in a week again. I did make 1 friend up there to visit.

It will be a monday. Think if I get going by 7am I'll find something? I'd love to find something coming east. I can probally stay around the portal until about 10:00am.

I found this website, it looks like there are alot of trains that use the tunnel.

http://home.comcast.net/~Petlick/grs.htm

Mostly at night.Early Morning usually are MOAY (NS/CP)Pig train from Mohawk yard near Schnectady,NY to Ayer,Mass. And MOED daily freight from Canadian Pacific to East Deerfield Yard.Most times with CPR or SOO Line Power.Coal trains are unpredictable,and run as needed.
Remember to park and stay on the east side of the road.NOT NEAR THE TUNNEL,AS YOU WILL GET POPPED BY THE COPS!
Have Fun!

by Gary Young

Skullitor wrote:Early Morning usually are MOAY (NS/CP)Pig train from Mohawk yard near Schnectady,NY to Ayer,Mass. And MOED daily freight from Canadian Pacific to East Deerfield Yard.Most times with CPR or SOO Line Power.Coal trains are unpredictable,and run as needed.
Remember to park and stay on the east side of the road.NOT NEAR THE TUNNEL,AS YOU WILL GET POPPED BY THE COPS!
Have Fun!
There has not been CP/SOO power for a few months.PanAm and NS power

by gprimr1

I hope the weather is good. It's a shame they all run at night, but i guess the speeds are so slow they need extra time.

by gprimr1

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but Monday is better than sunday right?