Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Tommy Meehan

Friday night will be the first all-rail schedule. Then over the weekend "a substitute train/bus schedule will be in effect." Does that mean no through service at all to GCT on the weekend? Maybe but the weekend train/bus schedule won't be available until Thursday afternoon.

Another interesting thing they're doing is the way in which the Bronx stations are getting served late night. They not only have a bus connection from southbound trains at Yonkers, they have buses to Mt. Vernon West to connect with the special 'Hudson Line' express trains to GCT. Schedule link.

Because of the need to wait for the slower buses, the final southbound train (Z701) doesn't reach GCT until 2 51 AM (instead of the usual 1 57 AM). The final northbound doesn't reach Poughkeepsie until 4 33 AM (instead of the usual 3 57 AM). In fact the last northbound train to Poughkeepsie passes the first southbound train between New Hamburg and Poughkeepsie.

:-D
  by LocoCam

I've heard wide gauge due to broken ties/retaining clips has been determined to be the cause.
  by Freddy

LocoCam wrote:I've heard wide gauge due to broken ties/retaining clips has been determined to be the cause.
Ouch! I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when they pulled the previous track inspection report.
  by Tommy Meehan

I hope that's not true.
  by DutchRailnut

NTSB has been weighing the Garbage containers in Croton west yard.
Also today CSX ran super long freight to Oak point, six engines not known how many cars.
  by DogBert

WM loads thousands of those containers a years for several years now. They are all the same size and sealed - not allowing much wiggle room for overloading. I would be surprised if weight were an issue. The freight tracks they originate from are not as new as the MN tracks.

Perhaps it was a combo of rail defect, speed and the curvy nature of that segment of track.

They'll look at everything and make the findings public. No one can say for sure right now. Anything else is a wild guess based on speculation.
  by Freddy

I'm thoroughly confused. CSX carknockers,along with Hulcher, did the rerailing so is this CSX or does it belong to somebody else?
  by truck6018

Freddy wrote:I'm thoroughly confused. CSX carknockers,along with Hulcher, did the rerailing so is this CSX or does it belong to somebody else?
The train was CSX, the trackage is Metro North. On the scene of the incident and aftermath was Metro North, CSX, and RJ Corman's derailment team and Hulcher.
  by Freddy

truck6018 wrote:
Freddy wrote:I'm thoroughly confused. CSX carknockers,along with Hulcher, did the rerailing so is this CSX or does it belong to somebody else?
The train was CSX, the trackage is Metro North. On the scene of the incident and aftermath was Metro North, CSX, and RJ Corman's derailment team and Hulcher.
OK, Thanks.
  by DutchRailnut

Coreman , came , saw. and left, no Hulchers, all work was done by MNCR wreck gang from NWP.
all cars are out of cut and track constructionhas begun.
  by H.F.Malone

10:40 am on Friday July 19, seen at the SB NY State Thruway "truck pull-off" area just south of the Yonkers tolls: three bright red RJ Corman tractors and detachable gooseneck trailers, with two big yellow Cat sidebooms sitting on two of the trailers. Looks like they saddled up their usual rigs, but found them useless when they got a look at the situation.

Mr. C and his NWP crew are about as good as wreck gangs get. Competent as the day is long!
  by Tommy Meehan

Why Woodlawn and not Van Cortlandt Park (B'way & W. 242nd St)?

At Woodlawn passengers get the No. 4 train that operates via the East Side, Lexington Avenue, with a stop at Grand Central. At Van Cortlandt passengers board the No. 1 train that operates in Manhattan via the West Side, Broadway-Seventh Avenue, and requires a transfer to reach GCT.

Btw, an MTA video showed workers wearing R.J. Corman safety vests helping to rerail cars. I realize that doesn't mean they were R.J. Corman employees but it probably accounts for the continuing confusion.
  by Freddy

I mistook the Corman guys for Hulcher. My mistake.