• Frederick MD old ROW's/ station locales

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by Bobby S

I was wondering if anyone has a map to show where some of these old ROW's through the city were located. I have traced some using aerial maps as they enter the city from other areas but I question those as other info I found it seems they only entered from the south. Those who create the maps with colored lines down and around present streets showing where old ROW's once were are the most helpful. Thanks for any help.
  by poppyl

BobbyS;

The B&O entered the city from the south off the Old Mainline at Frederick Junction. The B&O station was on East All Saints Street.

The PRR entered Frederick from the north and basically ran down the middle of East Street. Much of the track still remains in the street as far as East Patrick to the south and to the north as far as Route 26. The rail picks up on the other side of 26 and runs out to Walkersville and points north. The PRR Frederick station was on East Street before Carroll Creek.

And there were trolley/interurban lines that ran west from Frederick towards Hagerstown and north to Thurmont (where it terminated next to the WM station).

Poppyl
  by joshuahouse

If you're interested in the interurban system in the Hagerstown-Frederick area the interurban barn still stands in Williamsport next to the Cushwa's warehouse that is now the Visitor Center for the C&O Canal. There's also a WM lift bridge there.
  by K3CXG

The old Hagerstown and Frederick Railway station on Patrick Street at the corner of Carroll Street until recent years served as the offices of the Frederick News Post. They moved to a modern facility off Ballenger Creek Pike; don't know whether or not they still use the old station.