Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Trainmaster5

I've been trying to find out the track layout for the Franklin Ave station on the BMT Fulton St elevated. I'm old enough to remember the 2 track station where today's Shuttle ended at Fulton St. Heck, in the summertime the train went to Coney Island on the weekends. However before the the el was torn down there was a connection at the el station where trains from Park Row or Fulton Ferry would enter the Brighton line after leaving the Franklin Ave station(read the Malbone St wreck stories).This would eliminate the shuttle station of my youth, or today's station, as the tracks on this newer one never reached Fulton St. The station and tracks I picture would have to have been located before today's station location, on Fulton Street closer to Downtown Brooklyn, with a layout similar to the Broadway/Myrtle track connection. Any pics, ideas, or anecdotes welcome.
Last edited by Trainmaster5 on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Try the following link. Perhaps you will be able to find photos of the Franklin Avenue Shuttle on this site. http://www.arrts-arrchives.com It's a tough site to navigate but perhaps you'll find the photos you're looking for. Also try http://www.nycsubway.org.

by Trainmaster5

I've actually been to those sites and tried to find the info but a track diagram or picture didn't work out. I remember seeing a picture of an elevated car in that station somewhere. That's what got me interested in finding it again. Those who have read about the "Malbone St. Wreck" will realize what bugged me about the Franklin Shuttle history and pictures. The story is that the inexperienced motorman went past the Franklin Ave station on the Fulton St. line . He had to back up to the station and then take the correct switch lineup to enter the Brighton line toward Prospect Park and Malbone Street. Obviously the old shuttle station and the new one were built afterward and the original was further west, located on Fulton Street proper. The newer ones are located parallel to Franklin Avenue, at a right angle to where the el station had to be located. Anyone?