• Frankford El...Safe And Dangerous Areas For Taking Pictures

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SubwayTim

One Saturday I'm planning to drive under and near the Frankford El between Girard Ave. and Frankford Transportation Center, stopping at various locations along the line to photograph the el structure and train "fly-bys". Although I will be taking as many pictures as possible without having to get out of my car (through the windshield, pulling over to the curb, or turning onto a side street and taking pictures out the window), can anyone tell me what areas along the el are safe, and what areas I should avoid altogether if I do decide to get out of my car??? As I mentioned in a previous post, I will have my dog with me for added security in case I decide to take pictures outside my car. I hope I'll be able to photograph most of the Frankford El with no problems. I'm also hoping to get some photos of Regional Rail trains on the elevated structure at 9th and Girard as well. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

by njtmnrrbuff

While I know more about commuter rail andamtrak in Philly, I don't know as much about the subways for photography. A word of caution: STAY OUT OF NORTH PHILLY if you can. You might want to go to where the4 MFL is in eastern philly closer to jersey. You get some nice views there. About being encountered by transit officials, Septa from what I've heard at
times can be against photographers. They say that they have a p[ermit policy on their property but it doesn't really exist. I haven't had any trouble photographing the commuter trains from their property.

by kevikens

I was at ninth and Girard yesterday morning. I wanted to get a shot of the PCC Route 15 going under the viaduct with a Septa train going over it. Eventually the timing worked out right. I also got pictures of the PCC going under the MF El at Girard Ave. As for safety, I will be honest with you. I have gone to many places I have been told were too dangerous to go into and for many years. I go into Camden NJ at least once a week and that is allegedly the most dangerous city in America. I choose to take a certain risk to document rail traffic in places other rail fans seldom venture into, thus far with never a serious consequence. If one of these areas looks particulary creepy that day I'll move on. As for the MF El it may be difficult to photograph. With the completion of the new tracking along Kensington and Frankford Avenues it's hard to see much of the trains. They are working on this along the western portion on Market St. and I am not sure if any of the original steel viaduct is still up. If so you might get better pictures of the trains themselves from Chestnut St which parallels the line a block south of Market. The one place along the El where you might want to move along quickly would be the intersection of Kensington and Allegheny Avenues. There is a fair amount of drug dealing and prostitution activity here and you may draw the attention of the police if you look like you are cruising the area. The area around the end of the line, 69th street would be a good place to see the main strorage yard, Septa's light rail facility and the Norristown interurban, all from the Victory Ave. bridge. This area is reasonably safe to walk around. I wish you much good fortune. I am sorry I didn't get to respond to you until late Sat AM by which time you had probably gone.

by adamkrom

Generally speaking, the MFL is "safe."

I was shocked to see the extent of urban blight in Philadelphia when I moved here from Colorado in 2001. There is nothing at all like it west of Chicago, as far as I know.

But as an urban planning student, I spent some time in various parts of the city that are distressed, and I have different perspective now. While it isn't as safe as many places, for the average railfan, it is mostly a question of being uncomfortable with the condition of the neighborhoods. As far as the potential to be the victim of crime, the only serious threat would be a mugging, and that seems to be *very* unlikely adjacent to the el in the middle of the day.

I find that if you take someone with you you are much less likely to feel uncomfortable.

by jfrey40535

Kensington Ave is probablly one of the safest roads in Kensington as the police there make it a priority to patrol the road. They're more interested in keeping the streetwalkers away than anything else. I've gotten off the El at K&A many times late at night, and walked back to "R&A" as the 60 doesen't run often after 11PM, and I've never had a problem. Just keep your eyes and ears open and you'll be fine.