• Forecast for 2007 on the NYA?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Spartan Phalanx

How are things looking for NYA in 2007? Any new customers going to begin service? Any new spurs or yard trackage to be added? Any changes to the motive power roster?

by SwitchMonkey

Forecast? Let see, as always, we wait on the lifting of the "Garbage" embargo that really doesn't exist. DiCarlo was a much hyped 1 car siding.

I've heard of a new 6 man AC class ... but that is just speculation, so much that the even Road Foreman denied its existance.

As for motive power, nothing new on the horizon, but I feel a massive fleet rebuild is in the works for 2008 ... something about neglected preventive maintenance for the past 7 years catching up.

Ethenol in Blissville, Garbage in Maspeth, MSW on the Bush ... these are all old topics that havent died yet

by Mr GP10

I read that NY Times article I have to ask with the business getting bigger and better for the NYAR shouldnt the NYAR consider getting some extra power? some where I just read that NS has retired all of the GP-15s maybe the NYAR can pick a couple up? Any ideas? :-D

by jayrmli

The answer to their alleged motive power shortage is the same as it has always been.

There are always 4 or more engines sitting idle in the yard out of service for various reasons. All they have to do is step up their repair plans, stop the excuses, and there is no motive power shortage.

The GP10 and SW's were brought in the last time they needed additional motive power. The GP10 has sat in Gershow for the last two years, and last I checked one of the L&I engines has been sitting in the yard for over a year.

The answer isn't more engines. (Which unless they install ASC in them are useless to them anyway.) The answer is to begin an overhaul program where one engine is shipped out to a shop that can do complete overhauls. Yes, it will cost some money, but the results over the long haul are worth it.

Jay

by Spartan Phalanx

Don't all the Class 1's do contract rebuilding of locomotives at their shops?

by jayrmli

Most do. Some more than others. It all depends on the capacity of their shop facilities and manpower.

The problem is the cost. The initial cost cuts into your profits, and no one wants to have to explain that to their boss.

Jay