• Folkston (GA) Railfanning Question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by jhf0551

Anybody knows the busiest time of Folkston Funnel? What is the exact best time to watch CSX trains? Thanks in advance.

Huafeng
  by Noel Weaver

Last two times I was in Folkston was an early morning on October 31st between 6:30 AM and 7:30 AM and that morning five trains passed through in a little bit less than an hour. I also stopped there on a Friday afternoon between about 4:30 PM and
7:30 PM on Friday, January 30th and that afternoon I saw five trains between 5:00 PM and 7:17 PM when the northbound
Auto Train passed through. There were no more trains in the works, I was positive about that, so that was enough that
day and it was pretty cold there that day too.
It is still probably the best train watching spot in the south east.
Noel Weaver
  by drobertson

Finally made it to Folkston yesterday afternoon. Saw five trains in an hour including a meet right in front of us. The evening ended (for us anyway) with the Autotrain northbound. The viewing platform parking lot was packed so we parked by the museum and watched from there - nice place to watch trains. There were signs for the Rail Watch Day (April 4) - anyone have any details of what went on today.

Is there any place further south toward J'ville that offers similar viewing opportunities? I can't imagine a nicer area though - nice little town.

dgr
  by jhf0551

drobertson wrote:Finally made it to Folkston yesterday afternoon. Saw five trains in an hour including a meet right in front of us. The evening ended (for us anyway) with the Autotrain northbound. The viewing platform parking lot was packed so we parked by the museum and watched from there - nice place to watch trains. There were signs for the Rail Watch Day (April 4) - anyone have any details of what went on today.

Is there any place further south toward J'ville that offers similar viewing opportunities? I can't imagine a nicer area though - nice little town.

dgr
What special events did they hold on Rail Watch Day?

Beside Folkston, I know that Callahan and Hilliard are two other good places to watch trains. But I have only been to Callahan, there is a turnout, one to Jacksonville, the other to Baldwin yard. However, there is no designated train watcher area in Callahan, so we can only watch trains in railroad property.
  by Noel Weaver

I can't understand why you would want to risk problems with railroad people or police for going to Callahan when Folkston is
not much farther up the road and you will be welcomed there. There is everything you need within walking distance too.
Noel Weaver
  by jhf0551

Noel Weaver wrote:I can't understand why you would want to risk problems with railroad people or police for going to Callahan when Folkston is
not much farther up the road and you will be welcomed there. There is everything you need within walking distance too.
Noel Weaver
Hi Noel, I have been to Folkston twice, but I would like to see the Baldwin turnout in Callahan, so I went there about one month ago.
Last Saturday, I went to Okefenokee Drive overpass in Folkston, and I found it is a better place than the train watchers' platform. The train from Waycross branch formed a nice bend.
  by DaveA

I dunno ---maybe I'm not living right. I've been to Folkston twice now and have seen a total of 3 trains??? I'd go again because it's a nice spot and there's always been some nice and informative folks to chat with..

As I live in New England, my visits are aligned with "heading to/returning from" Florida for the winter. Better luck next year --- I hope. :~))

DaveA
  by Noel Weaver

Things are slow everywhere and I doubt if Folkston is an exception. I plan to go there for an afternoon sometime this
coming week and will try to give a report at the time of my visit there.
Noel Weaver
  by jhf0551

DaveA wrote:I dunno ---maybe I'm not living right. I've been to Folkston twice now and have seen a total of 3 trains???
After watching trains in Folkston for 4 times, I finally draw the conclusion of the peak time there. They are 5:30am to 7:30am in the morning, and 5:00pm to 7:30pm in the afternoon. I always have my worst luck from 8:00am to 10:00am (usually only 97 Silver Meteor passing). I think the best time is the afternoon peak: 98 Silver Meteor 6:30pm, Tropicana Juice Train 7:00pm, and 52 Auto Train 7:30pm. The sunset time is around 8:00pm now, so don't worry about the light.

Other than Folkston, there's another good spot, Crawford NS/CSX crossing diamond, just 24 miles south of Folkston following US301. Someone gave me a complete time schedule of Norfolk Southern trains in Crawford. According to the schedule, there are now 8 daily daylight NS trains passing the diamond each day, with 4 north bounds and 4 south bounds. The best time to see them is 10:00am to 11:00am. NS 209 arrives Crawford everyday around 10:20am and NS 229 arrives there 10 to 15 minutes later. Both 209 and 229 are intermodels whose destination is FEC bowden yard in Jacksonville. From there, the truck trailers and intermodel containers will be reloaded to Florida East Coast train 101 down to Hialeah FL. Other than NS trains, you can see much more CSX trains there. The trains move very slow when crossing the diamond, so you'll have plenty of time taking pictures.
  by DaveA

Thanks,jhf. Good info and Crawford's not that far off the "beaten path" when making the south/north trip. Maybe a stop at each would be worth the effort. How's the accessibility at Crawford?

I dropped a couple of pics, taken in Punta Gorda, under the posts regarding the (minor league) Seminole.Gulf. Pretty colorful paint jobs.

DaveA
  by jhf0551

DaveA wrote:How's the accessibility at Crawford?
...Seminole.Gulf...
Thanks for your Seminole Gulf Railroad pictures. I plan to see the diner and freight trains some day, but it is a little bit far from my home in north Florida.

For Crawford, you can just follow US301 south. After passing Callahan, count 4 miles, you'll see a "narrow bridge" warning sign on the right. Prepare to turn right (west) at the first crossroads (Cypress Avenue) after seeing this sign. Follow this road, cross the CSX track, and turn left (south) onto Woods Lane at the first crossing. Before you cross the Norfolk Southern track, make a left turn (east) to a dead end unpaved street which leads you to the CSX/NS crossing diamond. You can also search Crawford FL on Google map.

This picture is taken at the diamond at 10:55am. Norfolk Southern 229
  by Noel Weaver

Today, Wednesday, April 22nd, I spent four hours from 4:30 PM to 8:30 PM at Folkston and at least 20 trains went by in those 4 hours. Highlights included Amtrak 98 and the Auto
Train northbound, Tropicana Juice train northbound and two southbound coal trains. Rest was an interesting mix of freight and IM. Saw three or four Conrail painted units and
one or two trains with non wide cab units leading. This is still the best place in the southeast to watch trains in my opinion. Three more trains went by after I left the viewing
area while I has having a sandwich nearby.
I gave up trying to keep records of engine numbers and times, just sat there, relaxed and watching them go by.
ONE VERY HOTSPOT FOR TRAINS.
Noel Weaver
  by jhf0551

Noel Weaver wrote:Today, Wednesday, April 22nd, I spent four hours from 4:30 PM to 8:30 PM at Folkston and at least 20 trains went by in those 4 hours.
Noel Weaver
Hi Noel:

Nice info! By the way, do you know the traffic density on Sunday mornings? I plan to go there again on Sunday.
  by Noel Weaver

jhf0551 wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:Today, Wednesday, April 22nd, I spent four hours from 4:30 PM to 8:30 PM at Folkston and at least 20 trains went by in those 4 hours.
Noel Weaver
Hi Noel:

Nice info! By the way, do you know the traffic density on Sunday mornings? I plan to go there again on Sunday.
As I type this at about 5:12 PM on Sunday, April 26, there is a northbound on the approach and will pass by Folkston within
minutes, a southbound that passed by there maybe 15 minutes ago. There is not too much else in sight right this minute.
I didn't look at Jacksonville to see what is lined out of there but at least on weekdays the period I was there seems to be
quite good. The northbound Auto Train usually goes by a little after 7:00 PM and if it is on time Amtrak 98 should be
ahead of the Auto Train. I think late afternoon and early evening might be the best bet although last November on my way
north to Connecticut I spent an hour there from 6:30 AM to 7:30 AM and five trains passed by.
It sure is a great place to watch trains, I enjoyed my four hours there last week.
Noel Weaver