• Flooding at Amtrak/NJT Trenton Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jdelgrosso

I hear that Trenton is going to be flooded due to the storm now hitting around pennsylvania and further west in New Jersey.

Is Trenton station going to be flooded out? What will be the outcome? Also, are there any other spots along the NEC that might get flooded out?

I also heard that the susquehana River is going to rise 30+ feet. And Keystone/ Pennsylvanian track affected?

by Ken W2KB

Trenton has been flooded before, several feet above track level. I suspect that it's not from the Delaware, but rather the stream that flows by the station.

by queenlnr8

Should a little bit of water effect the running of trains across tracks? Aren't these brutes heavy enough to ford standing water up to a foot or two?

I, for one, would think that standing water on tracks would be no problem. I mean, they run through snow all the time!

by george matthews

queenlnr8 wrote:Should a little bit of water effect the running of trains across tracks? Aren't these brutes heavy enough to ford standing water up to a foot or two?

I, for one, would think that standing water on tracks would be no problem. I mean, they run through snow all the time!
Running water can wash away the ballast on which the track rests. It then becomes unsafe.

by David Benton

Traction motors may get abit upset at been underwater too .
  by Noel Weaver

From the NORAC Rule Book, Engines and cars equipped with roller bearing
journals must not be operated through water, except in emergency when
authorized by the kDispatcher. In such a case, the movement must not
exceed 2 MPH, and water depth as measured from the top of the rail must
not exceed the following:
1. Diesel Engines, and Electric Engines Class E-60: 3 inches
2. Electric Engines Class AEM-7, ALP-46 and ALP-44: 6 inches
3. Other Electric Engines and MU Cars: 2 inches
4. Rail Diesel Cars: Cars Other than MU's; 7 inches

Problems occur with traction motors, roller bearings and other gear.

Noel Weaver

by Ken W2KB

When it was flooded 15 years or so ago, the water was at least 12 or more feet deep. You could see the mud marks on the stone retaining walls south (RR west) of the station. RR rulebooks I have seen stated no operation if water was over the rail top.

by David Benton

have Amtrak or other agencies got any engines capable of working through water to rescue stranded stock / trains ?? . i have seen picutres of steam trains operating with water up to the footplate .
with the underwater tunnels etc , water ingression seems a likely scenario .

by JFB

Ivan's rains have come and gone from this region, and no word of service disruptions. Sorry, 'Hound, ol' boy, no extra passengers for you.

Trenton has been the repository of unwanted water several times over the years, and when it happens, New York is stricken from the map of the NEC's southern half (as is Philly-Washington from its northern half). I was "inconvenienced" by this phenomenon in 1999, and was personal witness to the fallacy of Cato's et al postulations on the "negligible impact" of closing the NEC. No, folks, we can't all just take buses and planes.

Mr. Delgrosso: From where did you hear that Trenton was "going to be" flooded? Officials become concerned whenever flash-flooding is predicted, but no one can be certain until it happens.

by jdelgrosso

JFB wrote:Mr. Delgrosso: From where did you hear that Trenton was "going to be" flooded? Officials become concerned whenever flash-flooding is predicted, but no one can be certain until it happens.
I think it said it in the News, that Trenton was being flooded. I also have family over in Harrisburg who had flooding of the susquehana in Harrisburg so I figured the same did happen over in Trenton

by BenH

Here is the current National Weather Service Flood Statement
for Trenton, NJ:

MAJOR FLOODING in TrentonNJC021-PAC017-190520-
/X.EXT.KPHI.FL.W.0020.000000T0000Z-040921T1715Z/
/3.ER.040917T1830Z.040920T0000Z.040921T1715Z.NR/
320 PM EDT SAT SEP 18 2004

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR
THE DELAWARE RIVER AT TRENTON
* AT 02PM SATURDAY THE STAGE WAS 13.4 FEET
* NO FLOODING IS OCCURRING. MAJOR FLOODING IS FORECAST
* FLOOD STAGE IS 20.0 FEET
* FORECAST TO RISE ABOVE FLOOD STAGE EARLY SUNDAY MORNING AND CONTINUE TO
RISE TO NEAR 26.7 FEET SUNDAY EVENING. THE RIVER WILL FALL BELOW
FLOOD STAGE MONDAY.

FLD OBSERVED FORECAST
LOCATION STG STG DAY TIME CREST

DELAWARE RIVER
TRENTON 20.0 13.45 SAT 3 PM 26.7 SUN 8 PM

From this you see that the river is forecast to crest at 26.7 feet (6.7 feet above flood stage) on Sunday evening. The NWS web page below states that this would be the highest water level (in Trenton) since 1955.

http://ahps.erh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?phi&tren4

Is this high enough to endanger Amtrak's bridge across the river in Trenton?
  by Noel Weaver

Just checked WCBS in New York and New Jersey Transit service is on or
close to schedule, at least according to WCBS.
Noel Weaver