• Fixing the UP

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by UPRR engineer

Davidson aint to blame, train service guys hold the key. What they should do is get rid of all that initial delay pay crap. To those of you that dont know what this is, pre-85 guys get paid extra money from the time there on duty till they depart. The railroad has asked everyone to help with velocity, in turn everyone acts like its a joke. When trains start stacking up outside of terminals because Joe Bob wont get out of the depot with his three grips and get on a loaded grain train because theres a Z called right behind him. And when a trainmaster finally tells him to get his ass out there and get out of town, he complains about it for weeks. Thats why the UP cant move trains, Davidson has done his job, KEEP THINGS MOVING. I wish i had the answer. Maybe they should hand out a fifty dollar bill at the end of your trip if your crew was on the ball. (tax free of course) And maybe they shouldnt hire people who never really had to work for their money before. Granted, most mainliners are half way decent and try to do a good job, but all the guys in Omaha can do is ask for help. I have UP stock also, and i wanna see it split.

by slchub

Righto! I always hated having to get on board, knowing that the 8 hour trip was going to turn into a 10-12 hour trip because my hogger was a pre-85 guy. Again, nothing wrong with these guys, lots of great experience and you can learn a thing or two from them, however, when have a small shooter, the power is runing good, the dynos are sufficient to slow the train, and the hogger starts pinching her down to 11 mph at the first flasher, 4 miles from siding, and entering at 7 mph all the way to the end (better safe than sorry), makes the other guy wait for him at the block because he is so slow I mean come on, lets get the railroad moving. Initial and final are great for these guys, but why make the rest of us suffer for your extra $40.00. I want to get home and watch the game, instead of the sage hens and antelope running around!

by F3A

It could be worse you know...

You could be working for Guilford!

by UPRR engineer

Im got saying i dislike the UP, or want to work for another railroad. Im just telling you that Dick Davidson isnt the reason UP isnt performing like it should.

by nate

It's weird, cause they send a train through every 15 or 25 minutes here. I guess there must just be that much more pressure here.

by UPRR engineer

There not always stacked up here. There may be more pressure from local managers, or maybe theres alot of new hires who take a little more pride in doing a good job.

by Guest

That is a good part of the reason. I will add that at originating terminals, they are hurting for switchmen who can do the job. New hires take a long time to get over the learning curve, and make a lot of mistakes, and learn too many bad habits.

Some road crews will take advantage of a new Footboard Yardmaster, and milk it for all it is worth.

One crew came into the yard, made their set out, pulled up the lead, stop, and changed ends to take the power back across town to the through train. So, blocking the lead, he discovered the rear unit was FRA, and waited an hour and a half while waiting for the mechanic. Meantime, we were stuck in the yard with no place to go. Ditto for the main line.

Had one lad tell me, if the UP gets messed up enough, the Government will take it over, and he would get a better contract. So he is going to do all he can to make sure it gets messed up. Nice attitude eh?

Not every one has this attitude the company owes them. The old and proud ex-Rock Island hogger knows how to run a train. Delays are not in his play book, moving tonnage is. The moment his train hits the yard board leaving town, there is nothing but dust. Another old head, lite engine on the branch, comes into a town running on miles. His engines go from silent as he coasts to a 20 mph slow, to screaming as the dynamics bring him to the legal. No sooner he clears the timetable slow, the motors are again making time and polluting the air. Safe, dependable. Every trip with him is testament to how it is done.

One more move Callow is the bane of the lazy switchmen in the yard here. No matter what the mess, the place looks as good as it gets by the time 7 hours have expired. And he does it as fast as a hump yard. Even I would have a hard time on the ground keeping up with him. But in the cab, it is like a concert. Grace and constant flow. Those were the days.

So, the railroad is not at fault, Davidson is not at fault, it is the bad apples who stand out, like a sore thumb. They are few, but the cause the lion's share of issues. Not only in the field, but in Omaha as well. One Corridor Manager in the deep of winter, wanted our yard crew to take a geep, go north and shove a 129 car coalie out of the siding. It didn't happen.

Nope, it takes more than one person to mess up the system.

by UPRR engineer

RRKen wrote:

One more move Callow is the bane of the lazy switchmen in the yard here. No matter what the mess, the place looks as good as it gets by the time 7 hours have expired. And he does it as fast as a hump yard. Even I would have a hard time on the ground keeping up with him. But in the cab, it is like a concert. Grace and constant flow. Those were the days.
If a hog was describe what it was like to work with me, everything would have been done, the whole yard. Faster than a hump yard and the concert would be like SlipKnot at a bowling alley with a crash up derby in the parking lot. No grace and flow, hard and fast. I had many yardmasters say they liked my work but it is kinda scary to watch.

Why did you say those were the days? RCL or just bad formans? or is Callow off doing something else now?

by Avro Arrow

RRKen wrote: Had one lad tell me, if the UP gets messed up enough, the Government will take it over, and he would get a better contract. So he is going to do all he can to make sure it gets messed up. Nice attitude eh?
Hahahahaha, oh man, what an idiot.

by AmtrakFan

Well Chicago is always going to have issues everyone UP included.

by Chris_S68

Dang. Makes me wanna move some freight.

by Guest

UPRR engineer wrote:
RRKen wrote:

If a hog was describe what it was like to work with me, everything would have been done, the whole yard. Faster than a hump yard and the concert would be like SlipKnot at a bowling alley with a crash up derby in the parking lot. No grace and flow, hard and fast. I had many yardmasters say they liked my work but it is kinda scary to watch.

Why did you say those were the days? RCL or just bad formans? or is Callow off doing something else now?
Callow is a hog head now, darn him!!!

Too many new people too fast, and too few old heads to beat them into shape. No RCL here thank God, we are the terminal who has to come to the rescue when Robo Loco gets behind. And for one minute, dont think I am blaming them new folks. 90% of them try, they just dont have the experience to teach them, or the time on the job. Frustrating, yes. But in time, it will work out.

by Guest

Avro Arrow wrote:
RRKen wrote: Had one lad tell me, if the UP gets messed up enough, the Government will take it over, and he would get a better contract. So he is going to do all he can to make sure it gets messed up. Nice attitude eh?
Hahahahaha, oh man, what an idiot.
No, he honestly and truely believes this, it is gospel to him.