Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by kjd73170

Hi all!
I was wondering if anyone like myself tries to combine their passions in my case being trains and fishing. I was hoping to get from the community here information on places to fish within walking distance of Metro North's Port Jervis line stations up in Orange County NY. I saw a few places online that looked nice but they may have been an hour walk from any of the stations..... Any information would be helpful!
Thanks!
  by kitn1mcc

a great spot for this on the new haven line is behind the new haven fire acedemy
  by CentralValleyRail

kitn1mcc wrote:a great spot for this on the new haven line is behind the new haven fire acedemy
The OP stated "Port Jervis Line"
mainetrain wrote:The Ramapo river runs parallel roughly between Harriman and Suffern. Here is a fishing link http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_ ... ramapo.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like Mainetrain pointed out the Ramapo river runs along the tracks from Suffern up to Harriman.

Sloatsburg as well has 2 lakes within a 15 minute walk.

At Sailsbury Mills you have the Moonda creek (10-15 minute walk at the most) Also have Beverdam Lake not sure if fishing goes on at Beverdam. (10 minute walk)

At Campbell Hall the Otter Kill Creek is just to the south of the station.

Port Jervis you have the Delaware River 3 blocks to your south.
  by kjd73170

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping this past weekend on Sunday would cooperate weather wise but it was too drizzly/off/on raining to venture that far out. I stayed locally and found some nice parks nearby which allow fishing as well. I will use all suggestions eventually so thanks to all who posted!