• first UP Turbines

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by curmudgeon

Hi all -

I ran across these interesting pix:
http://donross.railspot.com/up1.jpg
ftp://ftp.trainpage.com/U/UP-Steam%20%20Electric.jpg
(NOTE: 2nd link edited to work properly now!):wink:

Info on the first website:
2 units, G.E. built Dec. '38, scrapped June '39.
Identified as UP 1.
Noted as "definitely not successful" - an understatement, mebbe? :-D

Was there a model name/number?
Were the 2 units numbered as a single?
Was this intended for freight or passenger use or strictly experimental?
Anyone have other pix, specs, data, history, info on problems/reasons for failure?
Examining the 2 pix, the pilot, the side screens & possibly roof equiptment changed during it's brief life (I assume pic angles account for apparent nose-shape change) - anyone know the story?
It appears to be B-C+C or 4-C+C - is either guess correct?
Was it oil-fired, did the boiler somehow drive a generator to supply power to the motors, & were the motors truck-mounted/geared/what?
Lastly, where did it exhaust?

Any info'll be much appreciated.

TIA!

regards,

Terry

by curmudgeon

Hi all -

I see that some are curious enough to read my first post and since no one else has spoken up, for the benefit of those interested I'll give this update:

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/L ... upturb.htm

This site has a brief, expanded history & a fine layout diagram showing the internals of these engines.

It answers several of my questions: wheel arrangement, fuel, exhaust, motor & power system.
Oddly, it apparently saw more use on GN than UP!
Also lasted into 1943.

I'm still VERY curious about the external changes between the 2 photos, 'cause that occurred during the 3 months it was on UP (I'm now satisfied the "roof changes" are a background building in the 1st pic).
And I'd like to know why it wasn't successful.

So come on, UPophiles (and GNophiles) - dig around, see what you can add to the story! :-)

regards,

Terry