• First Train locomotive in the entire world!

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

by ChrisU

What was the first train in the entire world!
  by johnthefireman

I believe it's generally accepted that the first steam railway locomotive was built by Richard Trevithick and hauled a train at Penydarren in 1804.

Cheers!
John
  by slashmaster

NJTArrow2 wrote:What was the first train in the entire world!
It wasn't steam powered!I'll tell ya that! It was probably a horse, elephant or donkey.
  by johnthefireman

You're right, of course, slashmaster. Steam locomotives replaced horses on the old plateways in collieries. There was an interregnum when horses, stationary steam and/or atmospheric engines, and steam locomotives were all being used at the same time (sometimes on the same rail system). Initially some mine owners were not too impressed with the new-fangled steam locomotives and preferred to continue with a combination of horses and rope-haulage using stationary engines. But not for too long!
  by GSC

I came across info that claimed a mine "guideway" with wagons was in use in the mid-1500s. Roman chariot guideways might also qualify for this. Nitpicking? Maybe. Lost to history? Probably.
  by Steffen

But, and that's the clue... usually George Stephenson is called father of the railroad.
Because Threvithick only used an existing rail system, werefore he simply build a steam pulling unit, what we call today the first steam locomotive and as it pulled some coal cars, which were before pulled by horses or moved by hand.
So for many people that was no train or railroad at all....

But for me: Threvithink started to whole game.. He was the spark to that flame...