• First Time traveler

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by newpassenger

:-) I am a first time amtrak or train traveler and need some information.

My 13 year old daughter and I will be traveling on the Cardinal (viewliner sleepers) and I'm trying to locate some information and advice.

First . . . general advice and info about train travel

Second . . . advice/info about the cardinal

Third . . . information about the renovation and relocation of the Metro Lounge and the Chicago station.

Last (and certainly not least) . . . I saw a link somewhere to research the arrival/departures of specific trains (history) and CANNOT find it again!!

Thanks for the help . . . we're excited about this trip but just want to be a little better prepared!!

by Gilbert B Norman

First Welcome to our Forum Ms. Newpassemnger.

I think the best advice regarding Amtrak long distance travel, is think of a few popular songs (OK, they are on the oldies stations nowadays):

"Slow Down, you move too fast..."

"Don't worry, be happy..."

The best thoughts I can give on the Cardinal is that it traverses some of the finest scenery available on Amtrak. While you did not specify your direction of travel or your itinerary(I would guess it is overnight to or from Chicago), I can tell specifically what you can see. But if Eastbound, you will view the New River Gorge (Engineer's side) early on your first morning - it is spectacular.

Regarding the Met Lounge, it is now back in its regular location, even though I question to what extent they "renovated' it.

At the Amtrak website, there is a feature entitled Check Train Status. It goes smoother if you know the train number. For the EB Cardinal it is 50, WB 51.

Hope this helps as well as what I'm sure many other respondents will offer.

GBN
Forum Moderator
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by newpassenger

We'll be leaving Kentucky about midnight so I'm afraid we won't get to see very much of the scenery . . . hopefully on the return trip we'll get to see a little bit before it gets dark. We'll be leaving Chicago ABOUT 7:30pm.

I've read that the Cardinal is historically late so I just wanted to check out the history so I can plan accordingly . . . especially leaving Ashland, KY as this is an unmanned station.

Thanks for the info and advice!!

by ThinkNarrow

Viewliner sleepers are very nice, but let me set some expectations first. The Standard Bedroom is very small. Envision a small room with (narrow)bunk beds at night (or two facing chairs by day) and about a foot of additional floor space. Included in that foot of floor space is a closet about 6 or 8 inches wide and a toilet with fold-away wash basin above it. "Where do I put my bags?" you might ask. There is a small compartment over the corridor ceiling that is accessible from the upper bunk. Said compartment is about large enough for an airline carry-on bag. When a friend and I took a Viewliner, the car attendant stored our other bags in an adjacent baggage car. If you can arrange this, fine, but you will still need a small bag to carry PJs, toiletries, and anything else you might want in the middle of the night. By the way, in addition to the in-room toilet and sink, there is also an airliner-size bathroom off the corridor.

All of the above applies to the Standard Bedroom. If you have a Deluxe Bedroom, there is much more space. However, Deluxe Bedrooms are much more expensice and much harder to get. The Amtrak website has pictures of both types of bedroom, for both Viewliners (Eastern US) and Superliners (Western US).

While quarters are tight, I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride.

by AmtrakFan

Get there early at least an Hour Early I recommend also Evey trip is an Adventure.

AmtrakFan

by RMadisonWI

There's no need to arrive at the station an hour early. Especially if it's an unmanned station at a middle-of-the-night stop. Getting there 15-20 minutes early should be more than adequate. If the train is running late, allow for it to make up some time. My advice would be to call 1-800-USA-RAIL and speak to an agent for the best info regarding the train's status.

Returning from Chicago, if the return is due out at 7:30, arrive around 7 or so, that should be adequate (just make sure you give yourself time to get to the station from whereever you're coming from). Even if you have access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, outside in the city will be far more interesting than sitting in a couch staring at a telescreen for 45 minutes. Go out and watch the river or something (unless you're traveling during the winter, in which case you may want to just stay in the lounge).

Robert Madison

by newpassenger

Unfortunately I won't have much choice about arrival times in Chicago since I'll be coming in on the Hiawatha from Milwakee, so the Metro will probably be the best place!!

Are there any other "restaurants" in the Chicago station?? You know how 13 year olds are . . . always wanting something to eat and ofcourse its not something thats immediately available!!!

We've got our bags packed and have "carry-on" stuff for "in car" use/availablity but . . . what about my bigger bag (you know how women are about taking everything but the kitchen sink), will there be somewhere to put it when I board in AKY since it's unmanned??

by RMadisonWI

Ok. I take it you'd be on the 3:00 train from Milwaukee to connect to the Cardinal, arriving shortly before 4:30.

There is a food court on the upper level of Union Station, including the greasy arches, a sub sandwich shop, some other places that I can't think of, plus a deli/cafe place in the "great hall" (up the ramp from the Amtrak ticket counters).

Store your bags at the Metro lounge, and walk around downtown Chicago, that's what I'd do.

by AmtrakFan

Ms. New Passenger when are you leaving if you can get this and you want any thing nearby the station I can get the Info My Dad works in the Area.

AmtrakFan

by newpassenger

Well . . . firstly . . . it's Mrs Newpassenger(Ha! Ha!) . . . and we'll be leaving TOMRROW NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We leave here at midnight . . . arrive Chicago about 11 am Sat then on to Milwaukee . . . coming home Tues 3pm leaving Milwaukee . . . back to Chicago and back to Ashland at 8am Wed . . . at least that's the POSTED schedule but . . . no big deal for me anyway . .. we'll get there (and back) when we get there (and back)!!!