• First couple years working with the railroad

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by noviholt

I am seriously considering submitting my application for UP soon. What is it like working for the railroad as a trainman or conductor the first couple of years? It is really bad being on the bottom of the seniority list? thank you for your info!!

Alan

by Engineer

Like anything, you start at the bottom. Theres no sense of me explaining the whole 24/7 bad weather holiday routine, I'm sure you know it. When I hired, I was 4th from the bottom of the roster. Now after a couple of years there is quite a list of names underneath me. You pay your dues, and gradually you work your way up. I've bounced between the extra list and holding a night job a couple of times and you get used to it. Generally speaking, your roster number can only improve with time, but with mergers and jobs getting knocked off, there may be slight setbacks along the way. When I started, I showed a willingness to learn and an interest(in the job, not the trains) and many oldtimers took me under their wing. They showed me many things, told me many stories, and have since treated me with respect. The bottom line is that you make your reputation out here. I'm known as a good worker that doesn't bitch too much and gets along with pretty much everyone out here and that definitely helps when you spend more time with the guys on the railroad than you do with your friends and family. There are times the job sucks and you why the &%$# you took the job and other times where you really can't believe you're getting paid to do what you are doing. If you can take the good with the bad, then submit that application. Good luck.

by Engineer Spike

Just be sure that you have a second trade lined up. You may get cut off in slow parts of the year. At BN, I had been there for three years. I was promoted to engineer. Then I got set back. I was still able to hold one of the best conductor jobs. That winter a recession hit. I got bumped back to where I could only hold night yard jobs. At that point I was near the bottom. I would have been back to a good job by now, but I took a job offer. Now I work for D&H/CP. The same thing happens here.
I did not quit because of this, it was just that I wanted to move back east.
Don't buy a new $30,000 truck your first year, like some guys. Save for a rainy day, and have side work ready.

by CSX Conductor

as if you haven't heard or read, the UP is very short-handed right now in many areas of their system......so you might move up the roster quicker than you think.

Also, it depends where you work as to how long you are stuck on extra-boards.........for example in Boston area, some guys are holding regular yard jobs and locals with only a few years on the railroad. It depends on the amount of people who are close to retiring or have already retired.
  by slchub

I posted this one earlier in this forum, and it still applies.

Well, you should consider a few things before jumping into this game. Ask youself if you really want to give up those weekends off/holidays with the famliy, etc. Would you rather sleep in your own bed, or a bed that is set-up as a crew bed, where the sheets are swapped out, the tub and sink are barely cleaned after your co-worker has checked-out to catch his train home. Are you willing to sit in the cab and wait for the block to clear and move one block up for 3-4 hours before you can get into the yard? Does the thought of being alone walking to the 166th axle in a snowstorm at night to check a hotbox appeal to you? How about being in the yard at 0200 pulling pins between the 13th and 14th track with only 3' between cars and each track is moving in the opposite direction. Or trying to cover your butt when the MYO or MTO or other Manager is giving you a FTX or otherwise to try and fire your butt for 30 days.

Not that I am trying to disway you from the RR. But don't let railfanning or images of shooting down the rails at 70 MPH bring images that just aren't there. Yes, we do get paid well. Yes, the railroad has paid for my house and cars and provided many things for me and the family. I appreciate them all. But the calls from CMS at 0210 for an on duty time of 0340, the missed baseball games with junior, and telling friends and family to plan events around thier schedule, not mine, because I'll never know when the board is going to drop or move up is a constant reminder of the business I am in. Training? Well, you'll have plenty of it, although it has been parred down a bit. You'll need to know the rule book inside and out.....goto this website for the GCOR....The rule book that UPRR uses, and you must know. Most of the info. is correct, although some portions of the GCOR has been updated with SSI's, and the Air Brake section has been revamped as of April 1, 2004.

http://www.sdrm.org/faqs/rulebook/toc.html

just to get a look at some of the info. you'll be required to know...if your RR uses the GCOR. Tests and quizes almost everyday, and a couple of finals here and there which you must pass at 85%...you do get a re-take if you bomb..again..get 85% the second try....if not...then you are out.

If working holidays and nights and weekends, and having a closer "realtionship" with the guys on the board instead of your family sounds appealing, go for it. But if you don't know or are the least bit unsure, don't do it. Let another guy who wants to get on the rails come on board. Good Luck in your decision. The railroad is a great life. And it is a lifestyle, not just a job.

by CSX Conductor

only an 1hour &1/2 call? at least we're supposed to get 2 hours!!! lol

by noviholt

I submitted my application three weeks ago. The closing date for applications is on May 30. I guess I should get a call after that date if they are interested in me. I spoke with a UP conductor last week. He has only been on the job for eight months. He had nothing positive to say about the job. He told me that his pay checks are always messed up and that the engineers and dispatchers are very rude. He almost got in a fight with two other crew members and UP put him on probation. I'm thinking that he has trouble taking orders from other people. I hope that my experience will be much better than his!! (if I get hired ; )
  by slchub

noviholt,

Yes, I think you are right about this particular conductor having a bad time of it. You make what you can of it. UP is not perfect. The UTU is not perfect...UTU is the union for the Trainmen. Before the UP, I worked for several companies, large and small, union and non-union. Same gripes and complaints as always.

As far as your app. goes. Keep checking the UP website for an update as to the stauts of your app. HR will notify you of their interest via the web. If you are selected to attend an interview session, then the web site will show you the time and location, and you will get a telephone call from an automated voice unit. Hang in there. Only 18 more days till it closes. Then most likely another week or two.

As far as this Conductor having a bad time...well, as I stated earlier, you make the best of the situation as you can. If you go into this job with the attitude that you work for the railroad, no holidays, no set schedule for a couple of months/years based upon location and senority standings, and your family understands that your schedule is subject to change at any time, you'll do fine. Most of the Hogheads are great guys. Most of the older Switchmen and Brakemen are great. The old-timers are used to a different era that no longer exists. Corporate America has invaded the RR and nothing will bring back the good ol days. You are just a number. CMS (Crew Dispatchers) have their Sups breathing down thiers necks to get crews out on the line. The Train Dispatchers are trying to move trains with a reduced number of crews, and Management is trying to please the customers and the stockholders. It's a big game. Just go with the flow.

The RR has changed. But it also provides a great job for you. Get the job. Goto the interview in a pair of dockers and a collard shirt. No suit and tie. Think safety. Read the GCOR...the UP bible...as you'll have a head up for class. Think of some possible anwsers for the interview such as ....Have you ever seen an co-worker commit an unsafe act..and what did you do about it.......How do you deal with a co-worker you don't get along with......why do you want to work for the RR.........how much experience do you have working in the outdoor environment...hot/cold/humid.....heavy eqpt. you have operated...etc. Anything and everything is safety for the interview.

Your Conductor friend has a few points which are correct. Pay does get screwed up sometimes. But if it happens, you call Timekeeping, and ask for a voucher and it usually arrives within a couple of days. If not, you contact your union rep. The Dispatchers are "Mother." Mother may I? They rule, and they rule you. Better learn to accept that. Its part of the job. If its not the Dispatcher, then it is the yardmaster sending you a list of cars to switch in the yard. The Hogheads are fine for the most part. Some are primadonnas.....but most have been around for years, and can teach you a thing or two about the railroad. I have not met one Hoghead I could not learn something from. Some guys talk your ear off, others kinda grunt. If you get a grunter, you sit over their on the left side of the engine, update your Conductors book, enjoy the scenary and ride the rails. Get in the carry-all when you get into the yard, goto the hotel or parking lot, and your done. Like I said earlier. The RR is a LIFESTYLE. It is not a job. It will consume everything you do. Although if you work in the Yard, life is a little easier. On the road, well, your life is at the mercy of the RR. Once you get into the terminal, tie-up, and you realize your only 8th out before they call you out again....then all you can do is go home, shower, kiss the wife goodnight, goto bed, and hope the CMS does not call you before your 8 hours of rest is up.

Hang in there. I love/hate this job....Lifestyle. It pays well, I have great friends, and everyday is unique. No two days are the same.

Goo Luck

by KarlJ

[deleted]
Last edited by KarlJ on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CSX Conductor

noviholt, don't let sl chub persuade you into joining the UTU, they are not the only union for trainmen. Train service personnel can join the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers & Teamsters as well.

You will also learn that the unions are too chummy with the carriers, and unfortunately, the UTU does what they want for them.
  by slchub

CSX Conductor....Who said I was trying to get this guy to join the UTU? The U Took Us and the BLET are both options for Trainemen, and I try to stay as far away from the the political BS as possible. But for 90% of the guys here in Salt Lake City who are trainmen, the UTU represents them. Join whichever one you like, and have fun. I could care less which one a fellow employee joins.

by noviholt

How are the health and vacation benefits? I can't seem to find much information on either. All I ever here about is the good retirement. Thanks for your replies!
  by slchub

You will receive the usual health benefits afforded many other big corportations. Your monthly payment for health insurance will be substantially bigger than other companies. My monthly premium I believe is about $119.00 as a single guy. Two caveates..no dental or vision for the first year of employment.

by noviholt

I checked the UP website the other day and the position(s) I applied for has a different closing date for applications. It has moved from May 30th to June 27th. I guess UP didn't get enough applicants or something. I'll just continue patiently waiting. :)

by noviholt

I went to the hiring session yestserday and I got the job!! I would like to say thanks to everyone who posted your wisdom and knowledge on this thread and website.