• Fire on LIRR locomotive near Belmont Park - 5/10

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Notinmyneighborhood

From News12.com:

05/10/05) ELMONT - A fire broke out on a Long Island Rail Road locomotive in Elmont Tuesday.

The diesel train was sitting on the tracks near Belmont Park Race Track when it caught fire. The LIRR train was not carrying passengers and did not affect commuter service.

Fire officials are investigating the cause of the blaze. No one was injured.

See Link:

http://www.news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=138041

by LIRRNOVA55

in the words of that quiznos thing. . . mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm toasty!
anyone know if this was a DM? how bad was it? any one up for marshmallows?

by DogBert

Don't they store MOW around there? I'd bet it was an MP if it was Lirr (don't NYA drop off boxcars of hay there now?)

by Jeffrey Rosen

Too bad Tuesday is an NYRA dark day or there would have been hundreds of witnesses!!!

by mp15ac

I've seen the "victim" of the fire (I drive on the Cross Island Parkway daily). It is one of the track vehicles (weird looking thing). The fire was at the cab end of the unit. Entire cab and area behing completely burned out. It is sitting on a flat car, along with two MP15ACs (one old blue and white, other blue gray and yellow), neither damaged.

What's funny is that last night they were sitting in the Belmont Park tracks, with the flat car (and unit) sitting between the MP15ACs. This morning they were on the mainline, just west of the Cross Island Parkway, with both MP15ACs cab-to-cab, and the flat car on the east end of the consist.

Stuart
  by trackml2

A little old to reply but it was a track tamper. I was on there the next morning. They were blaming the 3rd rail.
  by freightguy

If it is the PBR 550 designation that'll be the second time it cooked. It is now in Holban(Hillside). When is was new the whole cab went up during the concrete tie project between Queens and Hall. The LIRR already sent out to be rebuilt, what a costly piece of machinary!

by Long Island 7285

hope the warrenty is still valid

by de402

I've heard or read somewhere that the LIRR goes through tampers rather quickly. What did someone leave the keys in the ignition?

by LIRRNOVA55

scrap the tampres and bring back picks and maybe a jordan :P