• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by WNYP431

I was just talking with a FGLK employee who works in the shop and is close to all the technical aspects and HE said that the GE's are being worked on so heavily because the railroad is looking for ALCO six-axle units....hopefully some MILW 636's...and are probably going to be traded in....the freight is so busy that they need the power...

The lightning stripes will eventually take a back seat to the "Cigar Band" scheme, which is under development (and cheaper to paint)....6 more cabooses for remote control are lined up as well, including the three at CSX Rochester Yard, and two on the S&NC.....

I am looking forward to it all.

1751 looks good up on the Conway, Yes? Will keep you posted.
  by Aji-tater

WNYP431 wrote:I was just talking with a FGLK employee who works in the shop and is close to all the technical aspects and HE said that the GE's are being worked on so heavily because the railroad is looking for ALCO six-axle units....hopefully some MILW 636's...and are probably going to be traded in....the freight is so busy that they need the power...

The lightning stripes will eventually take a back seat to the "Cigar Band" scheme, which is under development (and cheaper to paint)....6 more cabooses for remote control are lined up as well, including the three at CSX Rochester Yard, and two on the S&NC.....

I am looking forward to it all.
I guess I slept through winter. Last I knew it was the end of September, and all of a sudden it's April Fool's Day! :P
  by charlie6017

Awol wrote:Or the shop guys need a drug test. Why would anyone want Alco power?
Why not? Alcos are known as very good pullers..........Genesee Valley Transportation and the
Livonia, Avon & Lakeville family use them exclusively.

Charlie
  by scharnhorst

someone has to be on drugs up there to come up with such a wiled story about ALCO's running the line.

The change in the lighting stripes was something that the guys on the FGLK had talked about when they got the first 3 GE's off of Conrail. One or two more RC Cabs might be believable.

At this point The lot along Frank-Smith Street in Auburn, NY has been completely cleared of all the old ties and other stuff in preparation for Nucor's Scrap Steel transfer station . The plan is to unload Gon's full of Scrap coming on the FGLK to Trucks that will take it to the Mill. The photo below was taken on Sept 14th the lot extends all the way down to the trees directly in fount of the Bulldozer approx 150 yards or so. I'll try and up date the photo later this week.

Finger Lakes also got Grant Money from the State to also put in a 5,000+ foot long siding in Skaneatlas Falls no ground work has taken place out side of being brush hogged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by The Man

I have tried to sell FGLK Alco's in the past and they want nothing to do with them, he must have been yanking your chain, as for the cab thing? Once again I think you got yanked as they seem to like the chief system that is used in Solvay much better, a few of the guys I know have said they hate the cab style and love the chief. The chief style is the silver unit that mounts on one end of the locomotive and looks like some pipes with a horn and bell on it. Another point worth making is what big alco's would FGLK even be looking at? Other then LA&L and GVT, none are even around yet for sale in the future, so I am calling total BS on this! Next time try 4/1 for such a BS story.

JJ-
  by Aji-tater

Actually, with all the cheap natural gas from the Marcellus Shale, and the numerous lakes along the line for water, I heard they're looking to pick up some steam engines and convert them to burn the nice clean natural gas instead of coal or oil! :wink:
  by RSD15

scharnhorst wrote:
Finger Lakes also got Grant Money from the State to also put in a 5,000+ foot long siding in Skaneatlas Falls no ground work has taken place out side of being brush hogged.
FGLK does not serve nor does any railroad serve Skaneateles Falls since the Skaneateles Short Line pulled out years ago.
Maybe you meant to say Skaneateles Jct.(HartLot)NY?
Why they need a siding there is open to debate.
  by scharnhorst

RSD15 wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:
FGLK does not serve nor does any railroad serve Skaneateles Falls since the Skaneateles Short Line pulled out years ago.
Maybe you meant to say Skaneateles Jct.(HartLot)NY?
Why they need a siding there is open to debate.

area is known by all 3 names depending on who you talk. The old siding by the train station was pulled up over the summer it has often been an issue with car storage because they have to brake trains for the Jordan Road crossing. The siding is being relocated to the South side of the main track and just East of the crossing next to the train station it has been in the plans for at leased 2 years to do this work.
  by Matt Langworthy

A number of Alcos have been put up for sale since 1995 and the Finger Lakes Railway hasn't purchased any of them. FGLK has chosen instead to purchase GE power over the past decade or so (including 2 more units within the past year), so I can't see why they'd suddenly change their policy now. The GEs seem pretty reliable, with #2307 holding down the HW2 job since last fall. While Alco is my favorite locomotive manufacturer, FGLK's decision to focus mostly on GE makes sense.
  by scharnhorst

Matt Langworthy wrote:A number of Alcos have been put up for sale since 1995 and the Finger Lakes Railway hasn't purchased any of them. FGLK has chosen instead to purchase GE power over the past decade or so (including 2 more units within the past year), so I can't see why they'd suddenly change their policy now. The GEs seem pretty reliable, with #2307 holding down the HW2 job since last fall. While Alco is my favorite locomotive manufacturer, FGLK's decision to focus mostly on GE makes sense.
2307 has been on the dredge project on the Hudson River for a while it only came back for a few weeks this summer then went back up. 2306 has been in Auburn for a while but was replaced with 1701 for the past 2 months. 2309 and 2303 seem to be right at home on the Geneva-Solvay train.
  by scharnhorst

Updated photo as of today OCT 10, 2012 of what Finger Lakes has cleared out in Auburn for Nucor's Scrap steel transfer station in Auburn, NY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by scharnhorst

new to there fleet a gradall they got this one and a 2ed one with a trimmer attachment for cutting back tree branches and brush
  by Matt Langworthy

scharnhorst wrote:2307 has been on the dredge project on the Hudson River for a while it only came back for a few weeks this summer then went back up. 2306 has been in Auburn for a while but was replaced with 1701 for the past 2 months. 2309 and 2303 seem to be right at home on the Geneva-Solvay train.
When did #2307 go to the Hudson project? I saw her pulling HW2 in June and http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2636936 shows her in Geneva during July.