• Finding a way into the LIRR workforce at age of 18

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

I would LOVE to be a conductor on the LIRR. I heard they hire out of high school, should I go for it. I mean, if I got that job, I would be in hog heaven! What should I do?

Here's my profile:

I am half-Italian(My mom's side) and half-African American (My dad's side, who I have no contact with)

I have very good grades and have a documented interest in Railroading.

I have a mild form of autsim called Aspergers syndrome. But being that right now, I work at a fast paced fast food establishment, I don't think that will be a problem.

I want to go to college and make something of myself. But if I get this job at the railroad, I will work ABSOLUTLEY ANY SINGLE HOUR THEY CAN GIVE ME!

I am extremely hard working and loyal and I am ALWAYS the first to volunteer my time to my employer.

Do you think I have a shot?...

by LIengineerBob

I hired on the LIRR four months out of high school at age 18 (and was in engine service at 19). Believe me, it's not easy to do at that age (your mind wanders to all sorts of "other" things that you could be "doing" :wink: ). Spending countless hours studying and training takes a toll on you, especially when all your buddies are out having a good time, and your stuck at home learning the railroad and working all types of crazy, god-awful hours. You will be making decent money, but will have little time to enjoy it. You'll have to work on the RR a very loooooong time before you can retire.
Almost seventeen years later, I am disgusted :( with the whole RR business and no longer enjoy the job at all. I am currently toying with the idea of resigning and looking for a different job. The weird hours, weird days off, working holidays take a toll on you and your family life more than you realize at first. Yes, the job has good points, but right now, the LIRR has more bad points than good ones. I am in no way trying to change your mind about it, it was (is??) a great job, but live life a little (as was said above by a few others) before jumping into the world or railroading. Just give it a little more thought before you decide to take the plunge.

by VDYard

Bensalem SEPTA rider -- It sounds like you have everything the LIRR is looking for:

1. You are a bona-fide minority.
2. You probably look like a bona-fide minority member.
3. You are part of the superior culture in that you have no contact with your father.
4. You work in a fast food restaurant.
5. You are mildly retarded.

This is probably one reason for EngineerBob's dissatisfaction with the whole place. They're seeking lots of folks like you to hire.

We're not making fun of you. Seriously, present these "virtues" in the right light and I guarantee you'll get a job with the LIRR. You have every trait they want.

by LIRailfan79

Ouch! if thats NOT making fun of someone i would really like to see what making fun of someone is!

i'm all for good natured kidding, but i really think that went a bit too far, esp with point #5.

by Lirr168

VD, even if your only intention was a good one, I gotta say that your post crossed a line. On the other hand, you are probably right that Bensalem is a great candidate for a job with the LIRR. And to be quite honest, I don't see that as a problem. Here is someone who appears to be a hard-worker and who would take the job seriously and genuinely enjoy it as well. If I were a trainman, I would much rather have him on board than someone like La-Qwanda who's going to spend their entire career doing the bare minimum.

by emfinite

I think VD was just trying to prove a point. I'm also inclined to believe that if you let things said by others on an internet forum get to your head to the point they bother you, then you shouldn't be on here anyway. Bothered by a few comments on the internet? Try surviving on the railroad or in the real world. I'm 18 and I'm smart enough to know the simple fact that working for the railroad isn't all rainbows and red balloons. You will have to deal with criticism and hostility from others, there's no avoiding it.

Joe

by M1 9147

Good point Joe mentioned because working in the LIRR involves a lot of bureaucracy. I made it as far as the panel interview, but that was it. The second time, unfortunately I failed to make it to the panel interview due to the fact I was just hired by the USPS to which that didn't work out, so I'm gonna try a third time. There is a lot of criticism when you make it through these interviews, and believe me, its no joke.

by Lirr168

emfinite,

i agree that VD was just trying to make a point, and like i said, he does have a valid one; i just think it could have been handled more tactfully. i also gotta agree with you that working for the LIRR is no picnic. i take the railroad to and from school everyday, and more often then not the trainmen look beyond stressed out. in fact, the only ones who ever look happy are the ones on the 4:54 LIC train, a train which usually only attracts 20-30 riders!

by Guest

i stopped postin on here because of the abuse i had to take from you peoples. leave me alone! i am here on the ralroad and im not leavins! i do my job and jus because there nothing to do half the time doesnt mean i dont work. and excuse me mr. vd, but your racist sexist white man superior atitude is disgusting! my people built the raliroad sweat blood to give you wat you have today and we cant work there? i hope mr. septa gets a job. good for u mr. septa! im smart mr. vd i have college degree wat do u have? by the way vd, my daddy wasnt my mommas man and i did fine!

by VDYard

I say somethin' wrong? Me?

Aren't we men here? He's the one who said he was retarded. I just summed up his qualifications.

I'm trying to encourage this Bensalem to a better career than White Castle's, and to make the best use of the assets God gave him.

This real man laid it out on the table for all of us to see. He's got no problem with that and that attitude will guarantee his success. Whimps afraid of honest dialogue among men will spend their lives cowering under the fear of offending others.

I'd rather be retarded than be a whimp.

Go get 'em Bensalem! I'd be proud to work with you. Everything I said is true. Present yourself the right way, and you'll get hired without a problem.

You guys are Girly-men.

by Lirr168

News flash La-Qwanda: our responses to you have NOTHING to do with racism, sexism, or any other -ism you want to throw out there. you are simply the embodiment (is that too big of a word for you?) of what is wrong with the LIRR today. seriously, you admit to sleeping while on duty, god only knows what else you do when you're supposed to be on the job. frankly, good riddance to you.

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

VDYard wrote:Bensalem SEPTA rider -- It sounds like you have everything the LIRR is looking for:

1. You are a bona-fide minority.
2. You probably look like a bona-fide minority member.
3. You are part of the superior culture in that you have no contact with your father.
4. You work in a fast food restaurant.
5. You are mildly retarded.

This is probably one reason for EngineerBob's dissatisfaction with the whole place. They're seeking lots of folks like you to hire.

We're not making fun of you. Seriously, present these "virtues" in the right light and I guarantee you'll get a job with the LIRR. You have every trait they want.
1) Does that matter? Does that offend your fellow Klan mates?
2)Again, that doesn't matter
3)And you obviously have no contact with the human race
4)This comment speaks for itself...
5)Yes, and you're severly retarded.

by Lirr168

Bravo Bensalem, well said. :wink:

by Guest

good for u septa! thats right you klan VD. septa i hope u get a job. u sound like u would luv the rr. go get them septa, way to go! i work with many people who r different so y u have to say that.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Long Island 7285

i have to PARTLY agree with VD and PARTLY Disagree.
i agree he wnet to far with the mildly retarted comment (#5)
But he is absolutly correct. with the fact that it is nearly impossible in TODAYS sotiety that a WHITE MALE can land a job with any coorporation.

Equle Oppturnity has gotten WAY OUT OF HAND who the "F-Profanity" can say that because your a whit male you cant get the job, i remember very well that the African Americans did not like it very much when they were heavly profiled by there skin color, and many can still say that they experiance it today.

heres the point.
if there is a mexican male that just came over teh border yesterday and cant speak english

a black male the speaks slang all the time,

a white male that has railroad knowledg

and a white/black mixed make that has railroad knowledg

the mexican and hte mix will LAND THE JOB way before the white male

*relation to history*
what happened to most persons of color or minortiy decent, is now happening to every single white male.

im not saying this to be racise as im part cuban/italian i am also a mix of sort. but have light skin and can understand very little spanish. and my name sounds more towrd the steriotypical "white male" rather then a spanish male.

it is loud n' clear that out wonderfull government has to wake the hell up stop supporting iraq and re build America so there is "real =opp" instead of ok your of minority group lets hire you so we dong get nailed for discrimination.

oooo. wait. maby i should write JOSE inste of Joseph on my resume. us that as a code to make the "comprende englais"

AMERICA is UNBELEIVEABLE" today and our fellow peoples and government shoudl wake up and change it.
its a shame....

sorry if i went out of line here.

Joe..aka Jose