• Favorite Locomotive (HO & N)

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Trackmobile

What is your favorite steam or diesel locomotive on your roster?

Even out of the P2K and Atlas engines I have, my favorite loco would have to be the Walthers GP9M US Army engine I bought a few years back.Even though it lacks detail and is a little chunky it is still my favorite.

by jmp883

On a layout that is filled with diesels from the EL, D&H, LV, and NYS&W I'd actually have to say that my favorite engine is my Kato USRA Mikado. Check the 'www' button below to see my little world.

I've never seen an N-gauge steamer run so smoothly or flawlessly as this one does. It's one of two excursion engines on my railroad, but as a result of how well it runs I seem to run a lot of excursions!

A close second would be all the rest my engines! Atlas, Kato, and Life-Like have risen the bar on N-gauge motive power to a level I never thought would be possible. I truly enjoy running all my engines and only wish I had a layout big enough to keep them all out at the same time. With an EL fleet of close to 20 units along with 3-4 units each from all the other railroads I model it is very hard to decide what engines to have on the layout!

Life should be so tough................. :wink:

by bentnosewillie

On performance, my favourite is my RS18 built on an Atlas/Kato RS11 mechanism. Runs like a Swiss watch, especially at low speeds.

On pure appearance, I'd probably choose the RS18 again. I've always been partial to the "beefy" look of the RS10 and RS18.

by AmtrakFan

I like Kato, Athrean and Walthers.

by LIRRNOVA55

Id have to say my Proto SD7, great runner and good details.

by One of One-Sixty

E60CP, one of the coolest engines made in N scale for the domestic market.

by NellsChoo

As of today, my roster only consists of 15 N scale engines (wow, that's more than I thought I had!), and I only have a simple loop of track to run them on, but my favorites are the 2 Atlas SD26s and 2 GP40s in Guilford paint. They run very well, can creep along, and pull well. They also are dead ringers for the 1:1 engines!

Another favorite is an older Atlas B&M GP9 (GP7? Uhoh, I forgot...) that I bought used. The last owner installed Micro Trains couplers, and this thing is fast! It isn't good for slow speed action, but pulls a lot. If only the body had some better detailing...