• Favorite CSX Livery

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by ThePointyHairedBoss

What is your favorite CSX color scheme?

This may come as a shocker to you, but I LOVE the "Stealth" scheme. :-D I think it's so bland, it's original. And those units really GLEAMED when clean.

My second favorite would have to be CSX's "hockey stick." This is when CSX was at it's strongest, just after the initial turmoil, but just before the Conrail debacle.

by RailKevin

Gotta like that lead unit, Scot. Did you notice the containers/chassis on flat cars? :-)

I actually like the bold colors of the YN3 scheme, but it leaves me with the feeling that something is missing on the sides. Putting on a huge "CSX" doesn't seem to fill the void well.

by Malley

I really like the current scheme. Reminds me of the old blue B&O colors.
Malley

by SOU2645

YN2 (aka "bright future"). All other CSX schemes suck.
Larry

by rocketman

at least they finally got rid of the confederate rebel gray - awful

maybe they'll try washing them some time

by Malley

csxchris wrote:
There, there. Let's not get delusional.
Malley
  by n01jd1

ThePointyHairedBoss wrote:What is your favorite CSX color scheme?

This may come as a shocker to you, but I LOVE the "Stealth" scheme. :-D I think it's so bland, it's original. And those units really GLEAMED when clean.

My second favorite would have to be CSX's "hockey stick." This is when CSX was at it's strongest, just after the initial turmoil, but just before the Conrail debacle.
None. BRING BACK CHESSIE!!

by TheChessieCatLives

Malley wrote:I really like the current scheme. Reminds me of the old blue B&O colors.
Malley
It may remind you of the old B&O colors, but this scheme is "based" on the C&O For Progress scheme.

As for paint schemes, the Yn2 and Yn3 do look good on some of the units, but I do have to agree with this. Bring back the cat!!

by esus

csxchris wrote:

hahahahhaha good one

by Malley

Somewhere in my photos, I have a triple set of Chessie Cats working the Johnstown yard; has to be within the last five years.
Always thought the Cats were a little garish, but that's just me.
Moon

by roadster

As a CSX employee I must admitt I like the YN3 sceme. for it's C&O heritage and the fact that the dark blue doesn't show dirt and rust as well and a fresh coat of paint does wonders to make a 35+ year old engine look new, covering up the rust holes and repair patches.

by Spartan Phalanx

How about anything that said "Seaboard System" or "Seaboard Coast Line"?????

by conrail_engineer

csxchris wrote:at least they finally got rid of the confederate rebel gray - awful
Agree...and disagree both. I've had the joy of getting on some power fresh from the paint shops, back when the gray was the standard...that paint, when fresh, actually looked good.

The trouble was, first it doesn't look good when dirty; and second - for some reason, it would oxidize fast. After a year or two, it would start coming off in your hand, like primer.

The dark blue/butterscotch is a better choice in that it holds up well over time.
Never happen...and you can thank your friends in government for that. To have a wash rack, there must be a water reclaimation system in place to separate the oil and particulates...and the railroad industry and CSX in particular won't go for that.

Conrail in Collinwood had a locomotive wash rack that was disused since I was hired 11 years ago...it was taken down shortly after CSX came in and the old brick shed leveled last year. The old-head maintainers gave me the story on EPA requirements.