• Favorite Boston Abandoned Line Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Tracer

Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna order that book off amazon. I had a question about a photo in 3rdrail's flickr link to which i started a new and thrilling topic in the New England forum.
  by 3rdrail

Nice shot there, Kev ! Union Freight under the sun is hard to come by as they mostly ran at night. That's one of their own G.E. 44 tonners at the head end. They usually coupled two of them together as they came up short in power compared with the Climaxes that they replaced.
  by 3rdrail

Other classic images, Kev ! Atlantic Ave. by Central Wharf. A 44-Tonner and a few freight cars waiting to get picked up. Speaking of getting picked up, these shots remind me how much this area has changed. That "Harry Miller Company" later became "The Wharf" bar, which just so happened to become my hangout a long time ago. (Oh, I could tell you stories...) As a result of tracks being layed originally upon it's beginnings, Atlantic Ave. has always been a nice wide avenue, fairly unusual for Boston. It may be prettier and more attractive to the Johnson family from Boise now, but I miss the old Boston where it was fun to hang out.
Last edited by 3rdrail on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by 3rdrail

Bartender ?
  by 3rdrail

No, can't say I remember the name. I'd probably recognize his photo back then.
That Atlantic Ave. that you are highlighting now was an interesting place for we rail buffs. It must have been something to see the streetcars rumbling over the full diamond with the Union Freight tracks cutting right accross the diamond at Dewey Square. Just projecting a thought, but I'll bet that there were some "spirited" discussions (both literally and figuratively) between BERy Inspectors and Union Freight managers over who had the right of way at one of these crossings when a car or train got stuck. I would imagine that BERy would have it legally. I'll have to make that a research project when I get the chance. As I've mentioned before on RRN, the Union Freight guys were not out to win friends on the line. Trust me, I know, as a little kid that got yelled at for looking at one of their locomotives. (They didn't notice my mom there who let him go just so far- then she mad the guy sorry that he went to work that night !) hahaha!!!