• Farragut North Fires

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Politburo

There have been three fires at Farragut North the past week.. 1/26, 1/30, and 1/31.

1/26 was on the south end of the Glenmont track. The other two were both Glenmont but I wasn't able to see where on the tracks they occurred.

From the service logs (1/31 not available yet):

1/26
8:44 a.m. An inbound Red Line train at Farragut North was taken out of service because of a report of fire along the tracks, and customers were required to exit the train. Two trains were turned back for service until Metro personnel extinguished the fire and cleared the tracks. Service resumed at 8:59 a.m. Customers experienced significant delays.
1/30
9:08 a.m. Red Line trains at Farragut North were delayed because of smoke. Several trains were turned back for service, and trains shared one track between Dupont Circle and Judiciary Station while the smoke was being cleared. Free shuttle bus service was provided during the disruption. Normal service resumed at 10:49 a.m. Customers experienced major delays.
There was also a report of fire at WFC this morning, and a brush fire along the tracks near Twinbrook on 1/29.

The 1/26 fire was down at the end of the station where no one goes, and I have seen people sneaking a butt in that area, so that's certainly a possibility. Kind of off-topic for a second... I've heard a rumor that Metro cameras don't actually record and they are only available for live viewing. Based on a news report I saw two years ago I believe this is false.. can anyone confirm?

--METRO RESPONSE--

1/30 incident:
A short circuit caused smoke to emit from bolts at Farragut North Metrorail station this morning, resulting in significant delays on the Red Line. At 9:08 a.m., a train operator reported smoke at the Farragut North station in the direction of Glenmont. Normal service resumed at 10:49 a.m.

The smoke was emitting from bolts that support the running rail. During the incident, trains were single-tracked between Dupont Circle and Judiciary Square stations. Free shuttle bus service was provided during the disruption.
1/31 incident:
A short circuit in an electrical line caused a fire along the running rail at the Farragut North Metrorail station this morning, resulting in significant delays on the Red Line. At 9:47 a.m., a train operator reported a fire at the Farragut North station in the direction of Glenmont. Service resumed at 11:40 a.m.

The smoke was emitting from bolts and an electrical cable that support the running rail. During the incident, trains were single-tracked between Dupont Circle and Judiciary Square stations. Free shuttle bus service was provided during the disruption.

The Farragut North station was closed to customers at 9:58 a.m., and briefly re-opened at 10:48 a.m. The station was closed again at 10:59 a.m., due to continued smoldering conditions from the location.

The fire occurred the day after a short circuit caused smoke to emit from bolts at Farragut North Metrorail station, resulting in significant delays on the Red Line. Last Friday morning, a debris fire at Farragut North caused a 15-minute delay in both directions.
(Another side note.. why doesn't WMATA date the press releases on the website?)
  by Sand Box John

"Politburo"

. . . I've heard a rumor that Metro cameras don't actually record and they are only available for live viewing. Based on a news report I saw two years ago I believe this is false.. can anyone confirm?

Some but not all have VTRs attached to them. The recorders are located in one of the service rooms in the station.

Here is a page linked from the Current issues under Safety and security; Metro to install videotaping cameras at metrorail stations from 2003.

Found these pictures that were posted over at www.subchat.com/subchat.asp shortly after I originally posted this response that prove some of the cameras in fact are connect to recording devices.

Deer on down escalator at Addison Road
Deer on outbound platform Addison Road

Another side note.. why doesn't WMATA date the press releases on the website?

The releases that appear on the home page under the heading "Latest News" have no dates, however after they are bumped over to the "Metro Press release" archive they have dates on them.