Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

410-411-412 were built in April 1947, 413 was built December 1946 as Gulf Mobile&Ohio no 880A a F3a.
MBTA had the units rebuilt at ICG shops in Paducah in 1978/79 they all came out with HEP generators but four had Steam boilers and were later rebuilt with HEP by MBTA. the 413 was one of those four numbered 1152 at that time.
412 is at a tourist operation in western new york after a hard hitch and coupler gear damage. the other 3 are still in Service on MNCR.

by Otto Vondrak

Western New York? Isn't 412 on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad?

FL9's 2028 and 2010 are on the Cooperstown and Charlotte Valley.

http://www.lrhs.com/picgal/1.jpg

More information:

http://www.trainweb.org/locollection/Funit2.html

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

think thats were she went plus 3 other FL9's for parts

by Otto Vondrak

Update 8/9:

"NYC" 2012 is lurking on the Danbury Banch.

F-10 413 replaced FL9 2008 on the Wassaic Shuttle.

-otto-

by AmtrakFan

Otto Vondrak wrote:I know the F's won't go to West-of-Hudson- that was a joke on my part. While some F's will get cut up, the others are finding homes on various tourist lines, and others are being used for parts. The CDOT NH-painted engines are in good shape, and will most likely be kept stored servicable(?). Their numbers are dwindling, but the F's will remain with us for a little while longer... just not on Metro-North.

-otto-
I hope at least a couple of them will be preserved also CDOT units should be preserved. Also how much is Amtrak Getting for the P40's?

AmtrakFan

by Otto Vondrak

There are a few F's already put aside for museums. One CDOT FL9 and one NYC-painted FL9 are at Danbury. Two other CDOT FL9's are leased to the Naugatuck Railroad. Other F's were shipped off and sold to the Adirondack Scenic and to the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley operations upstate.

-otto-

by emfinite

I was riding Metro North today with a friend (I hardly ever ride MN) and while in Southeast, a Wassaic shuttle train with 2 cars pulled in with the 411 and 413. I snapped this picture with intention of posting it:

Also, here is a scan I made of the September 1997 issue of Trains magazine which features a "Where are they now?" section showing the 880A, 1152 and 413:

ImageImage

by njt4172

Awesome Article!
Anyone wanna take any bets how much longer the 413 will be in service?? I'm sure it will be the first engine picked up by some museum for tourist service once retired....

Steve

by Mr Met

so how much more time for these

by DutchRailnut

how much time?? till replacements arive, its tough to run trains withgout them :P :P

by njt4172

The replacements will be the Dash 8's "pepsi cans" correct?? If so then they will have to be on shuttle trains only as they lack 3rd rail shoes and dual modes....I say piss NJT off and bring them over to West of Hudson service so the F40's can run on Shuttle trains....

These are the engines coming over correct???

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=65825

by DutchRailnut

Dash 8 -32's are to high for MNCR. and Amtrak has non for sale.
the Dash8-40's may be candidates (Genesis P40)

by Ken S.

DutchRailnut wrote:Dash 8-32's are to high for MNCR. and Amtrak has none for sale. The Dash 8-40's may be candidates (Genesis P40)
But still send them west to piss off NJT.
On my layout an Amtrak P42 passing as a P32DM has been doing the 879/882 combo with an Amcafe because the unrebuilt C2s are the only cars capable of mating with Amtrak cars and operating on the NEC for the Six Flags run. "NJT" hasn't been very pleased.

by Otto Vondrak

The F Unit Report:

2012 was working the Danbury branch on Saturday. 2016 was on the Wassaic Shuttle.

2008 was working the Danbury branch on Sunday. 2016 was on the Wassaic Shuttle in the morning.

2012 and 411 came rip-roarin' through Harrison light engines (NYC 2012 leading into the sun, headlight a blazin... sigh...)... we thinks 2012 is on its way to Harmon.

2014 is in Stamford, most likely heading for the Danbury Branch.

That is all for now...

-otto-

by crij

Has anyone seen 2024 lately???

Rich C.