Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

I'm getting early reports that extra trains will run on the Danbury Branch to help alleviate the congestion due to the closure of US 7 from the tanker truck explosion the other day in Ridgefield, Ct. More details as they become available...

-otto-

by andy

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/serviceupdates.htm
Extra Service On Danbury Branch Line, July 14 and 15
To assist commuters impacted by the recent tanker truck accident that shut down a Route 7 bridge in Ridgefield, Connecticut, Metro-North will provide additional off-peak trains on the Danbury Branch Line on Thursday, July 14, and Friday, July 15.

Two additional southbound trains will depart Danbury at 12:18 PM and 3:52 PM. Two extra northbound trains will depart Stamford at 10:35 AM and 2:35 PM. The additional trains will make all stops between Danbury and South Norwalk.

The Connecticut Department of Transportation expects to restore traffic on Route 7 by Saturday morning.
Train 3861 leaves Danbury at 12:18 p.m.; arriving Stamford 1:30 p.m.;
Train 3875 leaves Danbury at 3:52 p.m.; arriving Stamford 4:57 p.m.

Train 3816 leaves Stamford at 10:35 a.m.; arriving Danbury 11:42 a.m.;
Train 3832 leaves Stamford at 2:35 p.m.; arriving Danbury 3:42 p.m.

by District D RTC

So, there will be 4 meets in daylight tomorrow:

1855/3816 at 11:08
1871/3832 at 15:08
3875/1838 at 16:27
and then the Normal Daily Weekday meet:
1881/1844 at 17:44.

DUDE, THAT's FRIGIN MINT!

[and yes Mike, these F-unit photo ops will miss you]

--JSW

by DutchRailnut

did not look like there were any extra passengers on 1812/1955/1826 today

by Nasadowsk

Frankly, if I were in charge of CDOT, I'd just tell the road crews to take their merry time patching up Rt 7, and leave the road closed until they're done.

If the idiot, inevitably in an SUV and yakking on a cell phone, didn't cut the truck off, forcing it to swerve and crash, this wouldn't have happened. Then again, if I were that trucker in the same position, I'd just flatten the damm car.

I seriously don't understand CT drivers - they're truely horrible in their own special way. I remember many a time stuck at a green light in hartford because the idiots in front of me were basically drooling, looking at the light, instead of stepping on the damm gas.

They're worse than NJ drivers and their inability to turn left (WTF is wrong with that state? You ca'nt turn left just about everywhere, and wherever you CAN, NOBODY seems to know how to), or NY drivers and their inability to stay to the right on multilane roads (and, of course, drive at barely the speed limit, block traffic, or just generally make an ass of themselves)...

by Lackawanna484

Nasadowsk wrote: They're worse than NJ drivers and their inability to turn left (WTF is wrong with that state? You ca'nt turn left just about everywhere, and wherever you CAN, NOBODY seems to know how to), or NY drivers and their inability to stay to the right on multilane roads (and, of course, drive at barely the speed limit, block traffic, or just generally make an ass of themselves)...
Chill, man. You need to take some time off.

Just don't take it in MA or FL. He, he. In MA, the drivers are totally insane. It's something in the water, I think.

In FL, everybody is 90 years old, drives a 1985 Cadillac, and travels at 12 mph in the left lane, until they suddenly swerve into a right turn. Makes you appreciate the reliability of crazy NJ drivers....

by Terminal Proceed

Thats enough of the discussion on on which state has the worst drivers - You're waaaay off topic here. Let's steer it back on course please.

Thank You

Kevin

by Noel Weaver

I will try not to add anything about the abilities or lack thereof of drivers
in various states.
Route 7 in Connecticut has been obselete and inadequate for at least the
past 30 years.
What has been most surprising to me over the years is that there has not
been much more local passenger service on the Danbury Branch going
back over the years. During the New Haven Railroad days, much of the
service on this branch was geared to the morning and afternoon commute
and the through trains to and from Pittsfield. Midday service was sparse
at best and eventually became nonexistant. In the NHRR days except for
the peak hour commuters, most of the people who lived in the Danbury
and Ridgefield areas would go either west to the nearest station on the
Harlem Division of the New York Central or if they were in the Wilton area
they would go to either Westport, South Norwalk or New Canaan for
service that would operate when they wanted to go.
In my opinion, Connecticut needs to do one of two things, either make
major improvements to route 7 or major improvements to the Danbury
Branch to operate much more service than is presently operated. I am
not saying that they would have to put the wires back up although it was
a terrible move when they were taken down but they need CTC and
probably cab signals too for a better, safer and faster operation and then
they need more trains especially on middays and weekends.
The worst part of US-7 all the way from South Norwalk to the Canadian
border is the part in Connecticut, all of it in Connecticut.
Noel Weaver

by Otto Vondrak

Does anyone know what two units are currently working the Danbury shuttles? Or did I miss that somewhere in the conversation?

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

the same 2 units reported in FL9 tread Otto, still the 2027 and 413

by Otto Vondrak

Duh, I should look in my own threads, right?

-otto-
  by MTASUPT

The 2027 is on the three car mini. On Friday the two car with the 413 went back to Harmon. Initially it was replaced with the 2016, but...it had issues then the 2012 was put on and that made it to Danbury, then was deadheaded back to Stamford due to HEP issues. Sunday night a new one will make its way around to replace the two car.