• ex-MN ACMU's move west on CSX on 2/4

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Benjamin Maggi

While driving West on I-90 (thruway), I passed over a passenger train that wasn't amtrak. It was a string of maybe a dozen or so gray coaches with blue stripes. Wide stripes. The coaches did not have open vestibules, so I don't think it was an Executive train. I thought maybe it was a commuter train, but I have never seen one there. It was being pulled by two units, but I couldn't not see their markings. Anyone have any idea what this mystery train was, and where it was going?

by DutchRailnut

Probably CSX moving 23 ex NYC /MNCR ACMU cars to Ohio for scrapping.
they were in Selkirk last week.

by Benjamin Maggi

Yup. guys, those are the cars I saw. I wanted to race to Rochester to get a picture of them, but I never saw the train again. I had my camera with me too, on my passenger seat, but never thought I would see a train like that. Serves me right!

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. Might be an interesting train to model...well, not interesting, but different from Amtrak.

by Otto Vondrak

Yeah, it's not every day that a block of 23 retired commuter cars moves in a freight train! It would be hard to model them faithfully, but you could come **close** if you found a model of some of those IHC smooth-side Pullman Standard cars... these cars that are being scrapped are former electric MU cars, and there is a craftsman kit from Funaro & Carmelengo for an LIRR MP-72 that is close to the ex-NYC ACMU design... but I'm not sure of the availability of that kit.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/279-102

If anyone west in Buffalo spots these cars, please let us know.

-otto-